OSH park purple Teensy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
I was over at OSH park, and I noticed that the purple Teensy 3.2 (previously 3.1) was no longer for sale. But they now have the Teensy 4.0 for sale:

For USA buyers, it is perhaps the cheapest option to get a Teensy 4.0 ($18 with free USPS shipping), providing you can wait a week or two. I don't know what the shipping charges would be outside of the USA.

Same here - figure once I start playing with the sd card connections I will probably mess it up :)

Interesting. It seems that shipping overseas is just $3. Is there any difference with the original version, apart from the color?

I just tried to order this, and it was $18 + $3 USPS first class to California.

I haven't ordered from OSH park in over a year. In the past, when I ordered PCBs, the shipping was free. Perhaps when a Teensy is added, or you don't order a PCB, they add the charge. Or perhaps they no longer do free shipping. But even so, it is still one of the cheapest options.

the way it worked for me was by adding a pcb, like Michael suggested, the first class shipping was then free. i put Paul's PT8211 @ 3.85 for 3 in with the addon teensy 4.0 and total was $21.85 shipped. i have no idea if pt8211 works with 4.0, i just wanted to test the theory that an added pcb earns free shipping.

the way it worked for me was by adding a pcb, like Michael suggested, the first class shipping was then free. i put Paul's PT8211 @ 3.85 for 3 in with the addon teensy 4.0 and total was $21.85 shipped. i have no idea if pt8211 works with 4.0, i just wanted to test the theory that an added pcb earns free shipping.

Yes, if you build the PJRC PT8211 board - it will work with Teensy 4.

Very cool that OSHPark carrying them - sort of surprising since they skipped the T_3.6/3.5.

... did find a T_3.2 page on OSH saying 'Sold out … buy the Teensy 4.0' Not sure if the T_3.2 will return … the T_LC was there at OSH and that page draws a blank now.

I have not personally tested PT8211 with Teensy 4.0. But I can tell you the 3 signals it needs are on different pins than they were with Teensy 3.x. You'll need to use wires or some other way to get BCLK, DIN and WS connected to Teensy 4.0 pins 21, 20, and 7.

PT8211 Sample here worked on TD 1.45 - then again after a fix {early July} should be in current build - when properly wired.

Teensy-4-0-First-Beta-Test

I tested on Paul's Beta breakout where it plugged on and worked to the headers wired to T4 for the PJRC Audio board.

Paul - how is the 'early September' release of the T4 ready Audio Board coming?

how is the 'early September' release of the T4 ready Audio Board coming?

PCBs were delayed. It's going into production Tuesday. So we're likely to start shipping on the 23rd.

I already made a new test fixture which works with the prototype, and we ordered labels "For Teensy 3.x" and "For Teensy 4.0" which go onto the ESD shielding bags. We should be good to go when they are through production.

Does anyone know if the OSH version comes with pins I can solder, or should I find extra elsewhere?

PCBs were delayed. It's going into production Tuesday. So we're likely to start shipping on the 23rd.

I already made a new test fixture which works with the prototype, and we ordered labels "For Teensy 3.x" and "For Teensy 4.0" which go onto the ESD shielding bags. We should be good to go when they are through production.

That would be great.. cannt wait to put my teensy 4 into work with an audioboard.

Does anyone know if the OSH version comes with pins I can solder, or should I find extra elsewhere?

Well the T4.0 I got from Adafruit did not have pins. The PJRC version listed in their store no longer mentions providing pins, and I believe the purpose 3.2 I got from OSH park a year or two ago did not come with pins either.

I tend to keep a stock of male headers, female headers, and female stacking headers of various sizes:
  • Male short header pins (10mm)
  • Male normal sized header pins (11.5mm)
  • Male normal sized header pins at a right angle (11.5mm)
  • Male long header pins (18mm)
  • Female short headers (female header size 5mm)
  • Female normal headers (female header size 8.5mm)
  • Female normal headers with right angle pins (female header size 8.5mm)
  • Female stacking headers (8.5mm for the header, and 10.5mm for the male pin)

In fact as I was soldering up my Teensy 4.0 with stacking headers, I noticed I was down to 1 5 pin female header left, and I went to reorder more from taydaelectronics. I also look at pololu.com:

Now for male pins, they break away easy enough, but for female headers, you generally have to pull the next pin and use diagonal cutters to get the size you want, and use a rotary tool to remove the excess. I find every so often, I cut a little too close, and I have to cut another header (unfortunately while Tayda Electronics carries many sizes, they don't carry 14 or 24 pin headers, but they do carry 15 and 25 pin headers). One place where it matters is getting a 5 pin female header for the back row of pins in the Teensy 3.2/4.0 or the row before the micro SD card in the 3.5/3.6.

For the side pins, you can go to PRJC which does sell the headers the right size, plus extra tall pins for mounting the audio shield:

For the stacking headers, Adafruit and Dipmicro carries the longer ones I can cut down:

I find generally I need to order enough at a time, and possibly bundle other things in the order so the shipping cost does not overwhelm the cost of the headers.

I would have to imagine digi-key, mouser, element14, etc. has tons of different headers to order. There the problem is often narrowing down things to what you can use, making sure you get the right size for pins, etc.

Pololu also has a large selection of pre-crimped wires and housings to you can build your own cable assemblies. The trouble with these DIY cable assemblies, is sometimes pushing these into a breadboard or female headers pushes the cable out of the housing. My next set of custom cables, I plan to add a little glue when I put the cables in the housing so they won't come out:

For example, here is a set of headers for a Teensy 3.5/3.6, an Adafruit feather adapter, a prop shield, and FrankB's 3.5/3.6 -> 3.2 pin layout PCB that I was going to solder up. I meant to take other pictures of the process but I got distracted and I only finished the Teensy part:
2019-02-24-15-23-001-teensy.jpg

Here is the FrankB 3.5/3.6 -> 3.2 adapter PCB:

Last edited:
Maybe you’re thinking of Adafruit? They bundled loose pins with 3.2. Some other distributors do too.

PJRC didn’t does do that. From us, the ones with pins are soldered. Recently we changed the website description and printed packaging material from “with header pins” to “with pins soldered” because this loose pins bundled created some confusion about whether the pins are included loose in the bag or already soldered any ready to use on a solderless breadboard.

We also came to realize the word “header” doesn’t really mean much. Not sure why we’ve called them by that name for so long...

Maybe you’re thinking of Adafruit? They bundled loose pins with 3.2. Some other distributors do too.

PJRC didn’t does do that. From us, the ones with pins are soldered. Recently we changed the website description and printed packaging material from “with header pins” to “with pins soldered” because this loose pins bundled created some confusion about whether the pins are included loose in the bag or already soldered any ready to use on a solderless breadboard.

We also came to realize the word “header” doesn’t really mean much. Not sure why we’ve called them by that name for so long...
Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I was probably thinking of Adafruit, which at least in the past usually put in unsoldered male headers for the 3.2.

ordered two for 36+3 USD to Europe

Careful if anybody is ordering these to the UK as even a single unit exceeds the £15 product + postage customs limit and so could incur VAT plus a £10 mail handling fee. It's pot luck whether this gets applied or not, but obviously blows away any savings if it does.

I've always been over the limit and never been charged.
Of course I might have now highlighted this to the customs.
Perhaps I should have kept quiet!!

I've always been over the limit and never been charged.
Of course I might have now highlighted this to the customs.
Perhaps I should have kept quiet!!

Yes about 95% gets through okay, but when they charge you it hurts. I don't mind the VAT but their 'handling charge' strikes me as excessive.

I also had an argument with customs over something that shouldn't be charged and won, but it took ages to sort out.

I purchased 1 pcs of teensy 4. 0 from OSH.
Shipping time was 8 days to Denmark, PCB is of cause purble, no pins, no pinout 'postcard', but works as the official PJRC board.
Amazing product for 21usd, incl shipping half way around the world.

updated audio adapter

Any update on this? The store page still says you're shipping Rev. C.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back