Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 4.0 RTC amperage

Teensy 4.0 RTC amperage

My Teensy 4.0 RTC draws 29 microAmps. That's with a 2032 coin cell attached to Vbat and Gnd and no other T4 connections. Is there some way to reduce the current? Can I remove a diode? I don't care if the coin cell powers the RTC when the Teensy is powered through Vin or USB.

Unanswered for some time now ... maybe you got a personal reply?
    Anyway in the same situation I am measuring 31 microAmps, pretty much like you and would also like to know if this is normal for a 4.0. And even when the Teensy 4.0 is powered (through USB) the RTC draws 6 uA. Seems also too much to me.
    Don't know if it is relevant, but my figures come form a UNI-T UT61E.

Looking at the datasheet for the RT1060 , the current consumption of the crystal oscillator is about 6.5uA (p.32) plus the RTC consumption of 20uA for the SVNS (p.26). So, 29uA sounds about right.

Thanks for helping me to find the relevant figures in the datasheet!

BTW: I have to correct my measurement figures somewhat:

1) With a longer measurement period I saw that current consumption is on average 29..30 uA. When my calculations are correct that would mean for a new CR2032 (235 mAh) a lifetime of about 8000 hours, almost a year. I don't think I will leave the Teensy unpowered for such a long time!

(2) When I power-off the Teensy the 'charging' current is starting at about -0.25uA, but pretty soon going to zero.

Regards, Rob.