Teensy and Mac OSX 10.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I'm impressed with the hardware, but I've hit a brick wall with the software. Changes were made to OSX that requires Arduino 1.9.0 beta to even run. There is no way to compile or download code with 1.8.9 on 10.15 because the OS blocks access to the user and download directories by default and 32 bit executable code is flat forbidden. The TeensyDuino installer will fail on the install check for the beta because 1.9.0 is not a valid version. While this may be a good idea in most circumstances, it makes the hardware worthless on a platform that is about to undergo a major OS version change in a few days. Is it possible to get an installer that allows for version 1.9.0?

So far I'm impressed with the hardware, but I've hit a brick wall with the software. Changes were made to OSX that requires Arduino 1.9.0 beta to even run. There is no way to compile or download code with 1.8.9 on 10.15 because the OS blocks access to the user and download directories by default and 32 bit executable code is flat forbidden. The TeensyDuino installer will fail on the install check for the beta because 1.9.0 is not a valid version. While this may be a good idea in most circumstances, it makes the hardware worthless on a platform that is about to undergo a major OS version change in a few days. Is it possible to get an installer that allows for version 1.9.0?

@Paul noted plans to release TD 1.48 Beta 1 in coming days. MAC is a big thing for Paul - would expect this to be resolved - maybe It is a problem with the IDE 1.8.9? This is the first note I've seen … any more details?

Jumping to IDE 1.9.0 is non-trivial and a moving target as it has been hanging around in Beta for some long time and not yet released. When a stable build is released that will be done.

Arduino IDE 1.8.9 as downloaded from Arduino is flat broken with the next OS for the stated reason. In their forums, the only way around this is to use the BETA version of the IDE.

I’ve installed Arduino 1.8.9 in macOS Catalina beta, just as a container for installing Teensyduino.
But for development, compiling and building, I use the Eclipse IDE with Jantje’s Sloeber Arduino plugin which just picks hardware definitions and libraries from the Arduino/Teensyduino installation via path variables and symbolic links. This works very well and before I read this post, I wasn’t even aware of the fact that the Arduino IDE itself wasn’t actually able to compile a sketch by itself...

First, please let me give you some unpleasant but realistic news. Supporting Apple's betas is a low priority. With the recent release of Teensy 4.0, you can read "low priority" to mean pretty much no effort is going to be spent.

Likewise for Arduino's unreleased betas. We don't generally don't support those. The last time we did publish support for one, the result was pretty bad... many people suffered and at least one person got very upset things didn't work. That painful incident plus the growing spammer problems led to this forum's policy where you can't edit messages past 2 hours old.

Supporting Apple's official releases, and Arduino official releases, is of course a high priority.

At this moment, Apple's "October 2019 release window" is to me "forever from now". I'm not going to do anything at all with 10.15 until Apple releases. Well, anything other than write this message.

If you want things to work smoothly, I'm afraid the only advice I have for you is to revert your Mac back to 10.14 and wait for Apple to officially release 10.15. Maybe even wait a few days to upgrade. But do ping me on release day (and not before). Then this will be a high priority and I'll upgrade my Mac test machine and start testing.

Usually Arduino has followed this same approach... a non-beta release within days of Apple officially releasing a new version which breaks anything. Usually I manage to publish a beta Teensyduino installer within 24 hours of each Arduino release.

But I will briefly mention, all Mac code in Teensyduino is fully 64 bit. Unlike Arduino, we made the switch shortly before 10.14 to completely purge 32 bit stuff. I feel pretty confident we're in pretty good shape for working on 10.15, once Arduino makes a non-beta release which officially supports it.

If you want to see this move, you'll need to convince Arduino to make a non-beta release.

Actually, as far as I can see, the current problem with macOS 10.15 (beta) is not with Teensyduino but with the Arduino IDE which actually doesn't compile for either CPU, be it Arduino, Teensy, or whatever. Thus, at least for the moment, I can't see what PJRC could do before Arduino have definitively solved their problems and released un update.

But I'll keep an eye on all that and (seen that platformio/VScode has problems with macOS Catalina, too) I recommend that you have a look onto http://eclipse.baeyens.it which is ways more professional than the Arduino IDE and which works perfectly on macOS 10.15 with the Arduino 1.8.9 IDE (just as a file container) and Teensyduino 1.47

Teensyduino 1.48 has been released, with support for Arduino 1.8.10, which is now fully 64 bit for MacOS 10.15.

I still do not have 10.15 installed, but I plan to update my main software testing Macbook Air when Apple officially releases 10.15.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm assuming this issue is fully resolved.

Teensyduino 1.48 has been released, with support for Arduino 1.8.10, which is now fully 64 bit for MacOS 10.15.

I still do not have 10.15 installed, but I plan to update my main software testing Macbook Air when Apple officially releases 10.15.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm assuming this issue is fully resolved.

Unfortunately no. On OSX 10.15 and Arduino 1.8.10, installing the current Teensyduino breaks it. I have a feeling it messes up the way the OS checks for the app wanting to use resources. If you install teensyduino right into a freshly unzipped Arduino.app you get "“Arduino” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash." If you run Arduino first, it works and the OS asks for permission for it to access ~/Downloads or wherever it's stored. If you then install teensyduino, Arduino will load but then bails out with no error dialog.

I should have expected this from Apple. I figured it was just another "moving the Overton Window" exercise in edging things ever close to making it just like an iPhone which will only run signed apps from the app store where Apple can "curate" (ie. censor) what they want and take their 30% cut. Sigh. At least I don't have an immediate need to get work done on a Teensy-based project at the moment.

Unfortunately no. On OSX 10.15 and Arduino 1.8.10, installing the current Teensyduino breaks it. I have a feeling it messes up the way the OS checks for the app wanting to use resources. If you install teensyduino right into a freshly unzipped Arduino.app you get "“Arduino” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash." If you run Arduino first, it works and the OS asks for permission for it to access ~/Downloads or wherever it's stored. If you then install teensyduino, Arduino will load but then bails out with no error dialog.

I should have expected this from Apple. I figured it was just another "moving the Overton Window" exercise in edging things ever close to making it just like an iPhone which will only run signed apps from the app store where Apple can "curate" (ie. censor) what they want and take their 30% cut. Sigh. At least I don't have an immediate need to get work done on a Teensy-based project at the moment.

You shouldn't make general conclusions from your individual problem. Fresh install of Arduino 1.8.10 followed by a Teensyduino 1.4.8 install gives a fully working environment under Catalina 10.15 (build 19A582a) on my 2018 MacBook Pro. Software like the Arduino IDE (or the Eclipse IDE for example) which is distributed besides the App Store does not always and immediately respect all fine details which might be requested by a new macOS release and manual fine tuning might be requested, after studying the console logs. Did you grant full disk access to the Arduino IDE in the security settings?
Capture d’écran 2019-10-11 à 01.44.28.jpg

You shouldn't make general conclusions from your individual problem. Fresh install of Arduino 1.8.10 followed by a Teensyduino 1.4.8 install gives a fully working environment under Catalina 10.15 (build 19A582a) on my 2018 MacBook Pro. Software like the Arduino IDE (or the Eclipse IDE for example) which is distributed besides the App Store does not always and immediately respect all fine details which might be requested by a new macOS release and manual fine tuning might be requested, after studying the console logs. Did you grant full disk access to the Arduino IDE in the security settings?
View attachment 17866

Changing the setting you suggested does not make the Arduino 1.18.10 plus Teensyduino 1.48 work for me. I get the following in the log console:

default 20:06:34.342428-0400 mDNSResponder [R143446] DNSServiceCreateConnection STOP PID[17172](Arduino)
default 20:06:34.342485-0400 mDNSResponder [R143453] DNSServiceQueryRecord(15000, 0, <private>, PTR) STOP PID[17172](Arduino)
default 20:06:34.342591-0400 mDNSResponder [R143454] DNSServiceQueryRecord(15000, 0, <private>, Addr) STOP PID[17172](Arduino)
default 20:06:34.343341-0400 runningboardd [executable<Arduino(501)>:17172] Death sentinel fired!
default 20:06:34.343364-0400 launchservicesd QUITTING: pid=17172 asn=0x-0x1ed1ed foreground=1 wasFront=0

I'd be glad to change whatever setting it is unhappy with, but the OS tells me nothing.

Did a fresh install of Catalina build 19A583 on an unsupported early 2011 MacBook Pro.
Granted full disk access to Arduino 1.8.10 after it's installation. Installed Teensyduino 1.48.
Confirming the Arduino Teensyduino combo is working as expected.

It doesn't work for me either. In the teensyduino installer, it seems unable to find a version file:

Directory: /Applications/Arduino.app/
Checking Arduino 1.8.10:
version: "Contents/Java/lib/version.txt" incorrect version format
Does not match Arduino 1.8.10
Checking Arduino 1.8.5:
Does not match Arduino 1.8.5
Checking Arduino 1.8.7:
Does not match Arduino 1.8.7
Checking Arduino 1.8.8:
Does not match Arduino 1.8.8
Checking Arduino 1.8.9:
Does not match Arduino 1.8.9

weirdly, that file is actually there.

It doesn't work for me either. In the teensyduino installer, it seems unable to find a version file:

Directory: /Applications/Arduino.app/
Checking Arduino 1.8.10:
Does not match Arduino 1.8.10

weirdly, that file is actually there.

Can you confirm which RELEASE IDE version is installed on the system in that folder?

perhaps a fresh install of the Released IDE 1.8.10 before teensyDuino install would work if something changed that file - or it is a build other than the released build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back