Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Countdown Timer

Countdown Timer

Powered by a Teensy 3.6 accompanied by a ChronoDot ultra-precise real-time-clock (RTC), this little beauty's main mission in life is to display the years (YY), months (MM), days (DD), hours (HH), minutes (MM), and seconds (SS) to my 100th birthday. The festivities will commence at 11:45 a.m. British Summer Time -- which will be 5:45 a.m. Daylight Saving Time in the USA -- on 29 May 2057, so now would be a good time to clear this date on your calendar. You can check out the current state-of-play here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxncb-0008-07-countdown-timer-its-alive.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	17562

This is interesting, have you considered what might fail and have you got contingency? It's going to be continuously running for almost 40 years or more? The LEDs will probably get dimmer, but the rest of the electronics are less predictable. Electromigration is an obvious one, but what else? Plastics also deteriorate naturally over time. Don't forget to set an alarm every 10 years for the RTC battery change!

You raise a good question -- I haven't really thought about things degrading (I'm still working on getting the thing working LOL) -- I do like the idea of it using a special pattern/display to remind me when it would be a good time to replace the RTC battery -- also, I can add an ambient light sensor and dramatically dim the display in dim lighting conditions (i.e., at night), thereby extending the life of the LEDs. Call me back in 20 years and I'll tell you how it's going :-)