[posted] Countdown Timer

MaxMaxfield

Powered by a Teensy 3.6 accompanied by a ChronoDot ultra-precise real-time-clock (RTC), this little beauty's main mission in life is to display the years (YY), months (MM), days (DD), hours (HH), minutes (MM), and seconds (SS) to my 100th birthday. The festivities will commence at 11:45 a.m. British Summer Time -- which will be 5:45 a.m. Daylight Saving Time in the USA -- on 29 May 2057, so now would be a good time to clear this date on your calendar. You can check out the current state-of-play here.
maxncb-0008-07-countdown-timer-its-alive.jpg

This is interesting, have you considered what might fail and have you got contingency? It's going to be continuously running for almost 40 years or more? The LEDs will probably get dimmer, but the rest of the electronics are less predictable. Electromigration is an obvious one, but what else? Plastics also deteriorate naturally over time. Don't forget to set an alarm every 10 years for the RTC battery change!

You raise a good question -- I haven't really thought about things degrading (I'm still working on getting the thing working LOL) -- I do like the idea of it using a special pattern/display to remind me when it would be a good time to replace the RTC battery -- also, I can add an ambient light sensor and dramatically dim the display in dim lighting conditions (i.e., at night), thereby extending the life of the LEDs. Call me back in 20 years and I'll tell you how it's going :)

Countdown Timer

Hi -

Im using the countdown timer with the autologout module... I would like to give users the chance to add more time before they are automatically logged out for inactivity.

Any way to create a "give me more time" link easily w/ javascript that would update the countdown to replace the page load time with the current time w/o actually reloading the page? I know this is probably way off, but I was thinking of something like:

Code:

Countdown Timer

Hi -

Im using the countdown timer with the autologout module... I would like to give users the chance to add more time before they are automatically logged out for inactivity.

Any way to create a "give me more time" link easily w/ javascript that would update the countdown to replace the page load time with the current time w/o actually reloading the page? I know this is probably way off, but I was thinking of something like:

Code:

I'm not sure what you mean -- I don't think we are talking about the same Countdown Timer here -- mine is a physical unit that's counting down to my 100th Birthday -- it sounds like you are talking about something to do with a webpage timing out.

Sorry

Max

I'm not sure what you mean -- I don't think we are talking about the same Countdown Timer here -- mine is a physical unit that's counting down to my 100th Birthday -- it sounds like you are talking about something to do with a webpage timing out.

Sorry

Max

Yeah - that is an odd message I didn't think applied here.

Caused re-reading of the thread - cool project. One note is on T_3.6 speed - no reason to expect failure that I know of - but one thing unique about the T_3.6 is it bumps internal voltage when running over 120 MHz for HSRUN/High Speed Run mode to the spec speed of 180 MHz. So for ideal long term use if run at 120 MHz or lower as needed it might extend the usable life of the processor maintaining a lower internal voltage.

Back