Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Advice on implementing a CAN network

Advice on implementing a CAN network

I'm thinking about implementing a CAN network consisting 20 senders and one receiver. The senders send sporadic, time-sensitive data that is time-independent from each other.
    For transceivers, I'd be using a SN65HVD230 breakout with this FlexCAN library.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blank Diagram.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	17587

I've seen that some CAN modules use a transceiver and a controller. In this case is teensy the controller?
    Is this going to work? Am I missing something I don't know about?

yes the controller is built into teensy hardware you just need the transceiver and you are set
    All nodes can talk at same time

Can confirm, it really was that simple. The example from the FlexCAN library was more complicated than it needed to be, but it seems to work fine in my application.

CANbus is nice because there really aren't addresses or "senders" and "receivers" as such. All nodes can transmit whenever they feel like it and all nodes can listen and/or ignore - in hardware - any messages they don't want or care about. The CAN peripheral hardware handles priority, collisions and retrys and transmission errors and all of that usual network complication.