Wiznet adaptor network name

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_B

Hello.

I've searched high and low for an answer - please let me know if I've overlooked something.

I'm using a Wiznet820io on a Teensy 3.2 with a PJRC adaptor shield to connect the two.

When I interrogate the network using Wireshark, Fing etc. the adaptor name shows up as PjrcCom. Where is this set and is it possible to change it?

I've looked through the Ethernet libraries but can't find anything. This seems to be listed as a to-do item during the release of v.2 (https://www.pjrc.com/arduino-ethernet-library-2-0-0/). I imagine that it must be set as hard coded into a library somewhere - perhaps as a buffer rather than a string - but searching hasn't turned anything up. I'm wondering whether this is read from EEPROM somewhere in the same was as the MAC is.

I'm happy editing a library directly if I could be pointed in the right direction.

Very many thanks in advance of any help.
David

What you are seeing is more than likely not inherently the adapter name, my best guess is you are seeing the Vendor ID of the MAC Address you are using. PJRC's MAC address Vendor ID is 04:E9:E5, as I can't see what code you are using this is my best guess.

Thank you for responding so quickly - and yes, you're exactly correct.

So next question - do you (or anyone) know how to set a name? When working on RaspberryPi, for example, it's possible to set a hostname which then appears in place of this. How is this behaviour set? I guess this could be a question about DHCP protocol rather than hardware...

Indeed it's to do with DHCP, with the stock Teensy Ethernet library I believe it's hard coded to show as WIZNet in the DHCP request. Good news is that with the Ethernet3 library you can set a custom DHCP name without modifying the library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back