Are there any Teensy 4.0 Audio Tutorials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pines

I bought a Teensy 4 recently without having looked at anything more than the benchmark (I know, not smart for a n00b).
My reason for going the Teensy route is because I'd like to create a modular synthesizer, and the GUI design website made it look relatively easy. I have some experience with Mozzi on an Arduino uno.

I then come to find out the T4 is still relatively new and doesn't work with the audio breakout board. I assume this is also true about the design tool since all of the design tool tutorials seem to use the breakout? The breakout is another thing I didn't know was required before buying. I assumed the breakout was just to make accessing things a little easier, but apparently it has a chip that you need to interface with?

The short of it is I am pretty confused here without any solid Audio examples/ tutorials for the T4. Are there any? Official or not.

Thank you very much!

The Teensy 4 does work with the audio breakout board assuming you reroute the pins. Paul has said there will be a new version of the Audio Shield that is made to plug into the Teensy 4 shortly.

I posted a summary about the pin differences here:

So, if you already have an audio board, you could plug both into a 1/2 or full size breadboard at different locations and connect the wires. Note, unless you have the new rev C board, you will also need to connect a resistor in series with the MCLK pin.

During the beta test, those of us that were beta testers received a shield that allowed you to mount the Teensy in one set of headers, and mount the audio shield in another, and it did the re-routing of the pins. However, this is a lot of work to build this, and it might be better to wait until the new audio board starts shipping:

Thanks much for the replies.
@mjs513, I was looking at these links when I realized I needed the breakout board, and then found that it was not compatible with T4.
@MichaelMeissner, Thank you for the breakout board work around. I saw this mentioned on the breakout board web page, but your post has expanded on that and will be helpful. I plan on buying a breakout now.

A follow up question would be: is the design tool at all useful for teensy boards alone, without a breakout?

A follow up question would be: is the design tool at all useful for teensy boards alone, without a breakout?
The design tool doesn't worry about pins and such. Instead it defines how the sound flows and is processed. I.e. the pins are used when the sound part is created or initialized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back