Surface mount pins on Teensy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taichi

Hi, I am new to this forum.

I am planning to use surface mount lands (from #24 to #33) on back side of Teensy 4.0 because other pin holes are not enough for some switches and LEDs.

So, before purchase it, I would like to confirm if ordinal pin header(2 rows 2.54mm) like below can be soldered on the surface mount lands.
https://ja.aliexpress.com/item/32725446695.html
Could someone advise me?

Thank you.

@Taichi
Simple answer is yes they can. Use similar ones that can also be purchased from digikey.

Thank you for quick reply!
As I am living in Japan, in most of the case it is cheapest way to purchase any electrical parts including the pin headers directory from china.
Then I will try surface soldering for first time:D

This has been done for quite a while now for use with loglow's breakout boards for Teensy 3.X on Tindie.
Use flux, tin the pads first, and use solder braid to clean the pads just leaving a thin coating of solder. Add a little more flux and then carefully align the header and solder a single end pin. Make sure the alignment is good before soldering the other pins.
I can't stress enough the importance on getting those pins properly aligned, otherwise you won't be able to plug the Teensy into your board or whatever it goes into.

I often setup a breadboard with extra long male pins, place teensy on it upside down, then place SMT connector in place. The use two female connectors and go across the two rows, and to matching pins on the outer rows. This holds it pretty close to right spot. I then have flux... and with little solder on iron, I hold the connector in place with one hand and tack down one or more pins. Then when I am sure it is correct I solder in all of the pins. I might remove the female connectors after I have pins securely soldered...

Thank you for your advise for the soldering. Yes, I am going to use flux.

As for alignment of the pin header on surface land, sorry that I could not understand KurtE's method exactry, but my plan may be similar.
I am going to put male pin headers on both side of pin hole line on the board, and between them, put the 5*2 male pin header like shown above on the surface lands which makes H shape of 3 headers. Then put a female pin header on across these 3 headers (parallel to the 5*2 header) to fix them in correct alignment. Then all headers will be fixed to the board with masking tape or something. Lastly, solder the 5*2 pin header on lands starting with center ones then remove the side headers to finish all lands.

Although I am not sure if I can make it in this way, I will try and think another way if it seems difficult.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back