Audio over Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy-logic

Hi all - this is more of a would this be possible/what are my first steps question;

I want to send audio between A and B digitally using two Teensy (bidirectional).

Is there a serial node available that I could use to send the bit stream over one wire from one teensy to the other, and another wire in the opposing direction. I understand that Teensy has the capability to send and receive data serially at these rates, Just need a pointer as to how I can go about implementing this. The follow on question would be could I then have multiple (6) teensy's sending and receiving data from a central teensy that hosts a matrix internally.

The Teensy 4.0 chip supports SPDIF which is exactly what you want for point to point as that is what it was designed for. But I believe you'd have to write your own drivers for now for the Teensy.

The second question is a bit more complicated as SPDIF isn't multidrop so you'd probably need to add one of these, or something similar
https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs8416/

The Teensy Audio Board/Audio Library supports SPDIF IO, and multi-channel TDM (time-division-multiplex) through the CS42448 chip...

The Teensy Audio Board/Audio Library supports SPDIF IO, and multi-channel TDM (time-division-multiplex) through the CS42448 chip...

From Paul himself last month :

There is the small matter of (so far) no software support for Teensy 4.0's S/PDIF peripheral in the audio library.

Given the power of the Teensy4.0 for audio, I wouldn't think it a good idea to start from the lower power modules for anything serious, which the OP's description sounds like.

bi-directional causes problems if you need synchronised audio. even though the two clocks are crystal locked, they will drift over time. the usual solution is to use a master clock, usually generated by one of the sources, or as a studio standard signal.

unfortunately, synchronised external audio isn't in the library yet. there was a series of posts by MikeDB over the past few days that discusses the issues.

if you want Uni-directional, then the I2S master/slave will do quite nicely over short distances - as it needs multiple signals.

over longer distances the DS90UA101 serialiser / deserialiser allows all the I2s signals to be carried on a single twisted pair.

serial can work, probably using RS485 as a physical layer, as the teensy so can sustain 3Mbits or more. however, the audio library does not have a widget for this.

I hope this helps your thinking.

Hi all - if there was no need for them to be synced how would you achieve this?

Tried to use the queue command and got no sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back