T4 with 480x320 displays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

econjack

I want to use the T4 in a book project, but cannot seem to find a library for the higher-resolution (480x320) displays. I can use any of the ili9481 ili9468, ili9488, hx8357, or r61581 controllers, but the ili9488 displays are ones that I already have on hand so would prefer a graphics library that supports that controller. While my displays support touch, I can live without that. If anyone can point me to a T4 library for such a display, I'd really appreciate it.

Im not sure what screen you have, but I use a teensy 3.2 and Adafruit 3.5" which are 480 x 320. Oddly I use the ILI9341_t3 libs (not sure if the will work with T4) and the libs work fine, I have full graphic support for drawing lines, custom fonts, etc. You just need to change the defines in the .h file

#define ILI9341_TFTWIDTH 320 // 240
#define ILI9341_TFTHEIGHT 480 // 320

Hope this helps

Adafruit has a 3.5" 480x320 HX8357 display for $39.95 (expensive) here. The also have a library for the HX8357 which can be down loaded. There is also a "Feather Wing" version which is currently listed as out-of-stock.

I'm thinking about getting one, but have been hesitant to be the first with the T4...

@KrisKasprzak
Wow, that's very interesting about the ILI9341 libs! I think I'll splurge and get one. I did ask about HX8357 somewhere on the forum but got no response.
(I've also been thinking about getting a cheaper display from one of the Chinese sites)

I have the T3.6 working with several displays, but not the T4 with a 480x320 display. Here's an image of my use of a T3.6 with a 5" display:

CWDecoder001.jpg

I could use the extra horsepower of the T4 if I can get a library to work with a hi-rez display.

As a FYI there is a library available specifically for the ILI9488 library that mirrors the functionality of the ILI9341_t3n library. It is available here: https://github.com/mjs513/ILI9488_t3. Also the ILI9341_t3 has been updated to work with the T4 by @KurtE. The update is in the latest TD installer.

But be warned on the ILI9488 displays that we got from ebay the MISO pins are not tri-stated so you will probably have problems with using touch unless you put it on a different SPI bus.

The sumotoy RA8875 library has also been updated to work with the T4: https://github.com/mjs513/RA8875/tree/RA8875_t4

mjs513: Thanks! The image above was used with the RA8875 library and it works well. I did not know that it had been updated for the T4. I have been following the work by KurtE, which strongly suggests he's forgotten more about displays than I'll ever hope to learn. Evidently, I've been looking for stuff in all the wrong places. Thanks to all! I'll report back what I find out.

I've used the Adafruit_hx8357 libs as well, but the ILI9341_t3 just feels faster, I never did tests though. Agree the adafruit is pricey and i'm looking for bigger displays (4" is a goal). I've seen several that plug into a Mega or UNO, but not experimented with using that pin layout with a 3.2.

Also, another reason I use the LI9341_t3 is it a has a getPixel method. I used this to create a screen capture utility for my 2.8" displays.

Gamedunio 3 has a 4.3" 480x272 display and the 3x has a 7" 800x480 display.

Recently the author has put out a new release that specifically mentions running on the Teensy 4.0.

The Gamedunio 3/3X have a FT815 GPU installed on the display, so it can off load things to the display (sprites, etc.). It has a resistive touch screen:

I've used the Adafruit_hx8357 libs as well, but the ILI9341_t3 just feels faster, I never did tests though. Agree the adafruit is pricey and i'm looking for bigger displays (4" is a goal). I've seen several that plug into a Mega or UNO, but not experimented with using that pin layout with a 3.2.

Also, another reason I use the LI9341_t3 is it a has a getPixel method. I used this to create a screen capture utility for my 2.8" displays.

BuyDisplay has several larger displays, of which we've used the 5" and 7" with the graphic image shown about. Both use the RA8875 library with the SPI interface. They downside is they are pretty pricey.

Yep - forgot about that one and its a 480x320 display as well. You put a lot of time into getting that one working with me kibitzing along the way. :)

Where is the RP driver and which display uses it? And it works with the T4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back