Teensy 4.0: No DAC pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdharbert

I have an audio project that has extreme latency requirements. Teensy 4.0 gets me faster processing I need, but I need to be smart about how I do DAC work. Are there any plans for additional form factors for Teensy 4.0 that will have DAC pins? Also, what might the bit depth be?

Indeed the 1062 MCU's design with 600 Mhz speed precluded a DAC it seems for the Teensy 4.0. There are a few other posts recognizing this.

So far I've not seen suggested a good add on external DAC - depends on use case I suppose.

As far as Teensy 4 follow on - Paul has made a post or three about that - there will be one - the design and features and timeline for that are 'to be determined' so far as the Teensy 4 has some work to do and he's been dedicated to that for over a full year and some unknown months.

One early hint - maybe a passing thought was an LC version … last notes referred to what may be a higher end NXP follow on to the 1062 - but not detailed as that chip is still under NDA with no indicated details on its analog capabilities.

Yes there is now public info on the 1170! Last month that was not yet public:
https://www.nxp.com/products/proces...microcontrollers/i.mx-rt-series:IMX-RT-SERIES

Wow another 94 pins!

https://community.nxp.com/videos/8703
The newly announced i.MX RT1170 is a dual-core Arm® Cortex®-M based crossover MCU that breaks the gigahertz (GHz) barrier and accelerates advanced Machine Learning (ML) applications at the edge. Built using advanced 28nm FD-SOI technology for lower active and static power requirements, i.MX RT1170 MCU family integrates a GHz Arm Cortex-M7 and power-efficient Cortex-M4, advanced 2D vector graphics, together with NXP’s signature EdgeLock security solution. The i.MX RT1170 delivers a total CoreMark score of 6468 and address the growing performance needs of edge computing for industrial, Internet-of-Things (IoT) and automotive applications

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nxp-launches-ghz-microcontroller-era-150000109.html
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Oct. 02, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- (ARM TECH CONFERENCE 2019) – October 2, 2019 – NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NXPI) today announced the i.MX RT1170 family of crossover MCUs that combines unprecedented performance, reliability, and high levels of integration to propel industrial, IoT and automotive applications. The NXP i.MX RT1170 family reinforces the Company’s commitment to advance edge computing with its EdgeVerse portfolio of solutions and marks a technology breakthrough with MCUs that run up to 1GHz while maintaining low-power efficiency. Additionally, to achieve an optimal balance of power, performance, and cost-effective integration, the solution uses advanced 28nm FD-SOI technology, making NXP the first company to build MCUs in this advanced technology node.

Wow it just so happened to be announced today, I didn’t even realize that, I had just been looking on the site a couple hours ago and seen it on there.

I have an audio project that has extreme latency requirements. Teensy 4.0 gets me faster processing I need, but I need to be smart about how I do DAC work. Are there any plans for additional form factors for Teensy 4.0 that will have DAC pins? Also, what might the bit depth be?

If you are just putting the signal to an amplifier that feeds a speaker, then some possible solutions might include:
  • Use the MQS output. These use pins 10 and 12, which precludes using the main SPI bus.
  • Use I2S1 or I2S2 outputs and use an external I2S device that produces an analog signal.
  • Use PWM pins with the appropriate smoothing.

If you need a real DAC to set the voltage, then the above hacks won't work.

Yes there is now public info on the 1170! Last month that was not yet public:
https://www.nxp.com/products/proces...microcontrollers/i.mx-rt-series:IMX-RT-SERIES

Wow another 94 pins!

Yay, we can finally start talking about this chip! I'm definitely planning to use 1170 for a future Teensy board, in a larger form factor so we can have many more pins.

But that chip is quite a long way from being available. In the meantime (early 2020), I'm considering making a Teensy 4.1 with the same 1060 chip we have now, probably in the Teensy 3.6 form factor.

If you need a DAC for DC level output there are plenty of outboard options to choose from, with various interfaces, speeds and accuracy.
For example just DACs that have 12 bit resolution, Vcc in the 3-5V range, now in stock at DigiKey: I got about 900 choices. Analog Devices (+Linear Tech), Maxim, Microchip, TI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back