Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24
Results 576 to 588 of 588

Thread: Future Teensy features & pinout

  1. #576
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by DrM View Post
    I can see an embedded application with high level graphics, the firestick for example.
    If I'm honest, I only want to abuse the GPU. A far away friend has a robot with NXP chips which have a GPU (RT595, might be wrong). He offloads his limb movement planning when there is high obstacle density (hard planning problem). His robot can "sense" attacks and dodge automatically. I am jealous. He said it wasn't possible to exploit the 1062 in the T4 like the other chips with dedicated 2D vector acceleration. So I never bothered to try or investigate.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrM View Post
    But at what point should we just get a pc?
    Yeah, we simply don't have the weight, power, or monetary luxury for anything more than small cheapish microcontrollers. Our fighting robots are knee to thigh tall RoboOne like bipedal humanoid robots, they have various requirements, cost, weight, power, low pit-time (limbs and parts need to hot-swap-able), ect.

    I also desire to see what a GPU would do to the current graphics libraries like TGX and T-COMPUTER. It would be cool to see a Windows 3.1/DOS emulator like the ESP32 FabGL project.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrM View Post
    If only it had a DAC...
    All 1170's have a 12bit DAC! So that's exciting for the future. After making 6 projects with the T4.1, I too wished for a DAC on the T4.

  2. #577
    Senior Member BriComp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cheltenham, UK
    Posts
    1,239
    It would be cool to see a Windows 3.1/DOS emulator like the ESP32 FabGL project.
    How about this.

  3. #578
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Eastern Time, USA
    Posts
    311
    Sigh... well it was great for a moment, the T4 has a 12 bit ADC. And it turns out, on quick perusa, it seems that \all of NXP's M7 line have 12 bit ADCs, though some do also have DAC(s). So it seems so far, that the choice is the slower 16 bit ADC and 12Mb/s USB, or accept the 12bit ADC to get the 480Mb/s USB and of course the 1 usec/12 bit for the T4 ADC compared to the 2.5usec/12 bit for the T3 ADC.

    I am working a product development effort where the customer insists on 16bit ADC for "marketing". Sigh.. again.

    For my own instrumentation work, I sometimes really do need 16 bit ADC and a >/= 12bit DAC. The slower ADC and USB for the Teensy 3 have been limiting in what experiments I can do with it.

  4. #579
    Hi,

    I saw that the IMXRT1170 has a MIPI DSI output. Whould be nice to have it exposed, a display is very often needed in applications....and MIPI seems to be the state of the art...RGB and others require a lot of digital lines...

    Thank you

    Torsten

  5. #580
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by DrM View Post
    Sigh... well it was great for a moment, the T4 has a 12 bit ADC. And it turns out, on quick perusa, it seems that \all of NXP's M7 line have 12 bit ADCs, though some do also have DAC(s). So it seems so far, that the choice is the slower 16 bit ADC and 12Mb/s USB, or accept the 12bit ADC to get the 480Mb/s USB and of course the 1 usec/12 bit for the T4 ADC compared to the 2.5usec/12 bit for the T3 ADC.

    I am working a product development effort where the customer insists on 16bit ADC for "marketing". Sigh.. again.

    For my own instrumentation work, I sometimes really do need 16 bit ADC and a >/= 12bit DAC. The slower ADC and USB for the Teensy 3 have been limiting in what experiments I can do with it.
    You have the daisy seed that has a 480MHz processor and 16bit ADCís and also a DAC I think. Maybe Iím not allowed to say it on this forum though.

  6. #581
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyy View Post
    Hi,

    I saw that the IMXRT1170 has a MIPI DSI output. Whould be nice to have it exposed, a display is very often needed in applications....and MIPI seems to be the state of the art...RGB and others require a lot of digital lines...

    Thank you

    Torsten
    +1

    Filler added since there's apparently a ten character minimum in this forum.

  7. #582
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyy View Post
    Hi,

    I saw that the IMXRT1170 has a MIPI DSI output. Whould be nice to have it exposed, a display is very often needed in applications....and MIPI seems to be the state of the art...RGB and others require a lot of digital lines...

    Thank you

    Torsten
    Iíve been toying with the RT1176-EVK for going on a year, and not only can I confirm it supports MIPI DSI output, but it also includes a lovely display out-of-box. Furthermore, the MCU not only includes a GPU and a vastly improved pixel processing pipeline, but includes low-level instructions for building modern UIs, including workspaces, windowing, icons, typefaces, and more.

    Itís a huge leap from the 106X series in myriad ways not listed here, but weíre also talking about a medium form-factor EVK (and a markedly higher pin count)Ö all of which is to say were a future Teensy to use this chip, assuming maintenance of the eponymous form factor, many of the chipís features would not be available on board.

    The only possible way access could be provided to all features is by exposing all pins externally for hypothetical peripherals designed to take advantage of them. I have the vaguest recollection this was mentioned as a no go, but take this with a grain of salt; Paul is the only b̴a̴n̴d̴ voice that matters, and I wouldnít prod due to speculation/wishful thinking.

    Time will tell.

    P.S. Itís worth noting that, even if many features were to remain unavailable, an RT1176 Teensy would be extraordinarily powerful. Iíve a mind to develop such a board, but it would be an untenable endeavor with no intention of profit, not to mention I have no interest in competing with PJRC. It would be much more gratifying to work with rather than against, and likely an invaluable learning experience

  8. #583
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Distributors are showing a small number of the 800 MHz industrial temperature range parts arriving near the end of 2021. But beyond those, all appearances look like 1 GHz 1170 chips won't exist in volume production until much later. How much later, I don't know. You can check out the various distributor website and see the same info I see. It's pretty depressing...
    Hello Paul,
    is any chance to require a production of Teensy 4.1 mounting the Industrial version of iMXRT1062 (so the iMXRT1062C version) instead of the Consumer version (iMXRT1062D)?
    Obviously, such a change wouldn't be requested for a single board but at least for 100 of them.

  9. #584
    This has probably been mentioned, but it would be awesome to have a Teensy 4.1 (5?) with builtin WiFi option like the Pico W.

    -Mark

  10. #585
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    6
    I hope this is the correct place to post this.

    What I need is a replacement for the TeensyLC. I have quite a few projects that do not need high end processing, but make heavy use of Paul's USB drivers such as 'keyboard' and 'joystick'. The Teensy 4.0 will do the job, but it would be nice to have a cheaper, lower performance product to knock a few dollars off the price.

    While it would be nice to have a replacement for the Teensy 3.5 (i.e. maximal exposed GPIO), that was an edge case that I have only used in one design. I can use the 4.0 or 4.1 for all the others.

  11. #586
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by UrQuan3 View Post
    What I need is a replacement for the TeensyLC. I have quite a few projects that do not need high end processing, but make heavy use of Paul's USB drivers such as 'keyboard' and 'joystick'. The Teensy 4.0 will do the job, but it would be nice to have a cheaper, lower performance product to knock a few dollars off the price.
    I haven't heard any discussion of replacements for LC and 3.x. Perhaps the supply of the older chips will eventually recover to some degree. Availability of all Cortex M0/M3/M4 seems to be limited, i.e. not just NXP Kinetis, so I don't know what one could use as a low-cost platform.

  12. #587
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    6
    Well, I would consider the 4.1 to be a replacement for the 3.6. The 3.5 has access to more GPIO pins than either, but my use was an edge case. I've only built three copies of that project.

    If you look at the PJRC store, you'll see some 'real talk' about how the entire 90nm process is spooling down and supply may simply be dead soon. While it blows my mind that companies would shutdown manufacturing while it is still in demand, that is how the silicon industry works. The purpose of my post is to put a bug in a designer's ear that I will buy an LC replacement.

  13. #588
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,497
    Quote Originally Posted by UrQuan3 View Post
    The purpose of my post is to put a bug in a designer's ear that I will buy an LC replacement.
    I ended up with RP2040 as an LC replacement :-(

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •