Future Teensy features & pinout

Came across this board called Meadow F7 and thought it was kind of cool. 16MB DRAM and 32MB flash on board, plus an ESP32 (which I could do without) in a Feather-like form factor. Imagine an 1170 with RTOS support in a form factor like this... whew. I suppose a major downside would be the need for a DRAM controller. Maybe higher capacity QSPI RAM chips will become available though.

Meadow_Golden_1024x1024_2x_65e55563-3639-4791-861c-572717bf2db6_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Oh, for sure. Ideally I would love a SOM style module with a ton of castellated pads but I know that's not going to happen. :)

atsama5d27-som1-diagram-ps.png

But, when going dual core, it can't be overstated how important software support is, IMHO anyway.

Yep, I am well aware and have posted in it a few times. I'm not sure if development stalled, and the latest board files didn't make it to github. Hoping it's not dead though.

Sorry everyone, wcalvert isn't insane. I deleted a post because I saw he had posted in the thread I was pointing out and in the meantime he responded here. Carry on.

The Pyboard D-series uses an interesting concept. Big thru holes at 0.1" pitch then smaller holes between the 0.1" hole. Making the pitch 0.05".

How well does this work for hobbyist hand soldering? Those pad look very small and the spaces between them very narrow. Doesn't that cause problems with solder bridging?

That's what I thought. I've seen pictures here, with big "cold" blobs of solder. OK, my first attempts of soldering were not good, too.
Esp. the size between the pads is a real challenge for beginners. They will not succeed.

I like this:
Image1.png

a little smaller, perhaps -double width / same length of a T4.0 ? and yes, a third row of pins would allow to use a bradboard. the 3rd row with pins down, the other rows with pins up. And it would allow to use flat cables+connectors. 2nd+3rd row pins should be the same, with the most important pins.
Would still be "teensy" small :

Edit:
Image2.png

Last edited:
I guess this mostly comes down to cost. I understand the 20$ price point is great. Can you give us an idea how much extra a row (28 vias ) or a pairs of rows (56 vias) would add to the cost of the 4.0? What about the SD card slot thing? I personally don't need that, it could be part of a daughter board IMO.

Lots of folk mentioned SD. Are there suitable alternatives to SD, such as UFS or eMMC? It would be great to have asynchronous (non-blocking) fast data storage.

It would be great to have asynchronous (non-blocking) fast data storage.
That is a question on the implementation of the filesystem and independent of physical devices.
asynchronous access to is easy for write access, but for read access you may need blocking, except OS allows multitasking (i.e.: read(); while (!isr) yield_to other tasks()) continue; )

However, if you keep disk-acess in loop() and do ALL other activity at interrupt level then you can consider existing FS implementation as asynchronous.

Using USB-host MSC you can attach any disk but for the time being only uSdFs has been ported and tested.

Hi,
When is the release of teensy 4.1? The teensy 4.0 is really but really too small, it doesn't have a lot of I / O

Hi,
When is the release of teensy 4.1? The teensy 4.0 is really but really too small, it doesn't have a lot of I / O

It seems very risky to release a new version now, as we all can not forsee how it will be with the virus. I don't think it will happen soon.
It has hit Europe - US will be next - just wait a week or two and you will think about other things..
My 2 cents.

LOL, Mr "America first" even tried to buy a german company to have a vaccine exclusive for usa (No joke)

It seems very risky to release a new version now, as we all can not forsee how it will be with the virus. I don't think it will happen soon.
It has hit Europe - US will be next - just wait a week or two and you will think about other things..
My 2 cents.

LOL, Mr "America first" even tried to buy a german company to have a vaccine exclusive for usa (No joke)

Why doesn't that surprise me. :) Anyway Lastest from at least NY pretty much they are shutting everything down. Just heard City schools are going to be closed until further notice. Looks like bars and restaurants are going to be shut down for the next 2 or three weeks as well. So having other distractions probably. Who knows about local stores etc. PJRC may be the only ones shipping :)

Most non-essential things are were shut down this week here in Portland, Oregon, USA. All public schools were ordered closed. Gatherings more than 250 people are temporarily banned. Robin and I have been staying in and trying to do the social distance thing as much as possible, but we hear most restaurant and venues around town are pretty much empty or closed.

PJRC currently has a pretty substantial amount of inventory, but as fully built by untested & not-yet-packaged boards. We had people out sick last week, so we're a little behind. Robin & I spent most of Sunday testing and packaging Teensy 3.2s (that's why I did not yet get to the RawHID issue) which will go on Monday to restock a couple distributors. Worst case, assuming the carriers continue to come pick up packages, we should be able to keep the supply of Teensy boards going. Whether we get much of anything else done will depend on whether the workers we have the test and package the boards are healthy and able to come in to work. Our employees have normal paid time off, and last week we added 40 extra hours of paid time off to their accounts and communicated that we believe taking time off when sick and staying healthy is more important that products. So we may be slow, but the good news is we saw this coming a couple months ago when it swept through China and we stocked up, in hopes of being able to keep Teensy continuously in stock.

Had a chat with a contact in Hong Kong this morning. He tells me that things seem to be under control there now. Mainland China too. Isolation policies appear to be effective.

I French and in France. We will soon enter confinement mode.

Buuut. I'm still waiting for teensy 4.1 ;) XD

"but the good news is we saw this coming a couple months ago when it swept through China and we stocked up, in hopes of being able to keep Teensy continuously in stock." : play well

Ps. In France we have the advantage of having excellent social security. Maybe that's why we care less.

PJRC currently has a pretty substantial amount of inventory, but as fully built by untested & not-yet-packaged boards. We had people out sick last week, so we're a little behind. Robin & I spent most of Sunday testing and packaging Teensy 3.2s (that's why I did not yet get to the RawHID issue)
Note: I think the RawHID issue is resolved, with pending Pull Request.

So we may be slow, but the good news is we saw this coming a couple months ago when it swept through China and we stocked up, in hopes of being able to keep Teensy continuously in stock.
Glad you are doing OK and I hope your employees are recovering. Keep safe!

A suggestion...

Been an extraordinary day world over. Events are now moving very rapidly.

We have an excellent community for Teensy and I'm sure many would like to understand the new situations in different places. There will be many new economic consequences amongst other factors. I'd like to suggest that we open a new special thread which is contrary to the normal rules of the forum. In this thread we could separate out posts which are not specifically about Teensy devices, but more about the situations arising from COVID-19. This way we keep the technical thread(s) free, but help each other. Normal moderator control over posts naturally expected.

Some of us will find ourselves in LOCKDOWN shortly, if not already so. France has already announced. UK likely to announce within days. Things will not be the same for a while, if ever...

@telephoneBill - I don't speak for PJRC, but my guess that if someone who has frequented the forums for awhile and started a discussion like the situation going on and how to stay safe and the like. That there would be anyone complaining about such thread!

Back