Using touch inputs on Teensy LC, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 & 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Experimentalist

Hi, if I want to use the touchRead(pin) function with Teensy LC, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 & 3.6 do I just connect a wire to a touch enabled pin or should I use a series resistor of some sort?

However . . . would it still be best practice to include a series resistor to protect the input from electrostatic discharge? Anyone?

No! As you can see in the reference manual, the Kinetis touch engine (TSI) works with switched constant current sources and charge/discharge thresholds for pure capacitive detection. Series resistors would create a constant voltage drop due to the constant current driving, so that the thresholds would never be reached.

If you want to protect the pins, use diodes with small reverse junction capacitance as follows: GND -|>|- PIN -|>|- 3V3 . The reverse junction capacitance (i.e. 4pF for a 1N4148) will add an offset of about 200 to your touch readings, but that can easily be compensated in software.

This PJRC page: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_CapacitiveSensor.html

Has a sample assembly … and some details on usage:
… The receive pin may be connected with a wire, but a 1K or higher resistor will help protect the Teensy's pin if a user directly touches the object and delivers an electro-static shock. The safest construction uses an insulating layer, such as the clear tape in the example above.
Multiple sensors can share a single send pin, but each must have its own receive pin.
Teensy's ground pin should be connected to earth ground for best results. Normally the USB cable connects to a PC, which connects to earth ground by its power code. But when using a laptop on battery power or running without a computer, you may need to make a dedicated connection to earth ground.
Teensy LC, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 & 3.6 have superior hardware-based capacitive touch sensing circuitry on specific pins. They do not require this library. To read capacitance on those pins, simply use touchRead(pin). Hardware-based sensing offers much faster measurements with better stability over temperature variation.

Yes, you wanted to use touchread() which uses the native touch pins through the TSI engine. So, my reply above should answer your question.

As you can see in the reference manual

Could you post a link to that manual please?

If you want to protect the pins, use diodes with small reverse junction capacitance as follows: GND -|>|- PIN -|>|- 3V3 . The reverse junction capacitance (i.e. 4pF for a 1N4148) will add an offset of about 200 to your touch readings, but that can easily be compensated in software.

I just wondered if I should protect them or maybe this is already taken care of internally.

So I just connect the pin directly to a wire or pad and that's it?

All data sheets and reference manuals for the different processors are here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/datasheets.html
I'd not rely on the weak internal protection and add the diodes. And yes, just a pad to connect (besides the diodes). If the pad is large enough to produce enough capacitive surface with the finger, a very thin insulation layer might also do the job.
Afterwards, like all capacitive sensing, it's sophisticated. Grounding resistance of the circuit and of the one who touches plays a role, as do ambient humidity and the moon phases... ;)
Just give the different variants a try. A German word play says "Versuch macht kluch" (Experimenting will make you smarter)

The above is designed to use the CapacitiveSensor library not the native touch pins of the Teensy LC, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 & 3.6, it is a completely different beast that is why I started this thread.

Indeed it is clearly detailing 'CapacitiveSensor' - but the included text - where "1K or higher resistor will help protect" and usage of "insulating layer" was noted also notes: "To read capacitance on those pins, simply use touchRead(pin). "

YMMV - as noted … "Versuch macht kluch" (Experimenting will make you smarter) … in experiments here it was with and without resistor and both worked.

I'd not rely on the weak internal protection and add the diodes

Sorry if this is a simple question but can you explain the theory behind the diodes. I guess if the input pin goes more negative than Gnd by approx 0.6V then it sinks to ground and vice versa if it goes more positive than around 3.9V it sinks to the 3.3V pin. I kind of get the Gnd side but not the 3.3V side, could you explain please?

A German word play says "Versuch macht kluch" (Experimenting will make you smarter)

I totally agree, hence my username, I just like to check out what might fry it before starting my experiments (o:

Thanks for your help.

in experiments here it was with and without resistor and both worked

Interesting but seems to contradict this quote:
No! As you can see in the reference manual, the Kinetis touch engine (TSI) works with switched constant current sources and charge/discharge thresholds for pure capacitive detection. Series resistors would create a constant voltage drop due to the constant current driving, so that the thresholds would never be reached

The diode option seems very straight forward so I guess I'll give that a go, thanks for responding

Interesting but seems to contradict this quote:

To some degree it does - reading the linked library page it appears those are PJRC added details specific to Teensy. That makes clear the choice of resistor value will have an affect on the timing and measured response - which is what Theremingenieur was it seems focused on? It suggests min value of 1K … and refers to the issues of using 1 Mega Ohm. So there is a continuum of usable range bounded on the low Ohm end by not protecting the MCU from shock and on the upper end where higher resistance could lead to too much sensitivity not requiring true touch. { edit: "Larger values allow more sensitivity, but with slower response".}

as noted YMMV - if a touched or not touched state is all that is needed there will be a combination of resistor that will likely give a usable threshold value to determine that. If something more specific is desired … perhaps determining a proximity value with certainty then the usable sensitivity of the hardware could be lost. But changing weather/humidity proximity to desired GND plane will also it seems affect fine measure …

Test here was some combinations of copper tape touching wires to Teensy - with and without a tape covering, also resistors directly in female headers and even bare wire in female headers - all seemed to give usable touch. And just found a proto board with copper tape punctured by resistors and soldered and the resistor to wires to feed the Teensy - it was a fleeting experiment interrupted by something else with just enough understanding to know it worked. Also a sketch looking for detect threshold that showed the initial read value was not the same as repeat readings once the touch was established because both touching and reading are active elements of the process of measuring the capacitance.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a simple question but can you explain the theory behind the diodes. I guess if the input pin goes more negative than Gnd by approx 0.6V then it sinks to ground and vice versa if it goes more positive than around 3.9V it sinks to the 3.3V pin. I kind of get the Gnd side but not the 3.3V side, could you explain please?

Would be interesting to see this for sure: assuming the diode would allow current flow OUT of the Teensy to the touch area which would allow the capacitance measure to function - and be so aligned to as to prevent any touch area discharge from passing the diode into the Teensy pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back