looking for advice on how to make a chassis cutout glow with LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

colorado_hick

Working on a synth, when I had the laser cutter do all of my switch cut outs I also had them make a little logo. I sometimes book shows as 'Blue Camoose' so I wanted to have a camel/moose hybrid shape with a blue light behind it. It turned out well (see pic). Less then 1" wide.
Im curious if you guys have any advice on how I could make a blue LED light up behind it but have it be more of a diffused glow instead of a point source. I have thought about putting a couple LEDs inside the chassis and gluing a little chunk of acrylic with some privacy glass covering (like what you would use on a shower window). I prototyped it and it was pretty cheesy, like a blue LED behind a shower curtain.

I also had an idea of casting a little square slightly bigger then the logo with a few 3mm blue LEDs embedded in clear polymer or even hot glue gun glue. but im not sure if that would break the lights or if there is a way I can do that without eating up a bunch of PWM pins (my LEDS are 3-3.2 volts). One light is plenty bright

Any ideas out there for lighting up glowy container cutouts?

IMG_20191006_231653334.jpg

I used a 5mm "opaque" Neopixel. Roughed it up with some fine sandpaper to mute the point source some more. Painted the outside with a silver felt-tip and set it about 6mm behind some 2mm clear polycarbonate sheet, also roughed up on the back. Devil in the detail.
Here 'tis..
DSC_0753.jpg

Midi controller, using 5 unique colors to indicate a value and the spill around nearby shafts was intentional.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Here is my go, I took the shot measuring cap that comes with tincup whisky, cut it down a little, tucked some tin foil in the bottom, and mounted the LED in there. THen I filled the remaining 1 1/2 inches with hot glue and scuffed it up. Worked pretty good!
IMG_20191104_194807374.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back