Looking for advice to control 6000 leds

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for different amount of leds per pin is because I have different amount of leds per window with difference of about +-50 leds. Having the same amount means extra wiring and cutting the strip of one window in the middle in order to start signal from another pin. But from what I undertand if I put MAX let's say 400 leds and some pins will have 360 or 370 leds it won't be a problem. Only if I send a slow wave it there will be a small delay jumping from short strip to the next one because it will be calculating 371, 372, 373 etc which are non existent, correct?

There’s no way to specify the number of LEDs per pin, but if you just start the object with the max LEDs that one pin has there’s nothing stopping you from using less LEDs on the other pins. You just have to make sure that what ever is drawing to the LEDs isn’t trying to update LEDs that aren’t there, it won’t cause any problems if you do try to do that because of the nature of the shift registers, just know that nothing will happen if you try to write to an address that doesn’t have an LED. Of course the simplest option is to just keep the number of LEDs per pin as close as possible, I can’t think of any reason that would benefit from having a varying number of LEDs per pin.

Good advice, thanks for the link Paul!

Buying chips on Aliexpress is risky. Usually it works, but sometimes you will get counterfeits or inferior quality parts. Often the Chinese companies who manufacture these parts on behalf of the major brand names will sell batches that failed quality testing to other Chinese dealers who resell them on Aliexpress and other sires in China.

For this sort of part, buying the genuine Texas Instruments chip from a reputable distributor is only slightly more expensive.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/SN74HCT245N/296-1612-5-ND

I currently have a setup that can run 21760 LEDs (that’s at half capacity) using multiple custom teensy based controllers. That setup allows up to 40 FPS but can go 60 FPS if I reduce the leds per port. Due to the ws281x timings the longer your strings are the shorter your frame rates become. 60 FPS will limit your leds per port even more. That being said having multiple teensies is essential to driving high frame rates. The bigger question is how you plan on having all teensies work together. I use both fastLED and octows2811 in my code, however I use the IP network to synchronize the teensies together and use software on a pc to generate the color patterns and send to the group to get a synced result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back