Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Buzzing noise with audio line input from cap sensors

Buzzing noise with audio line input from cap sensors

I have 3 Adafruit_MPR121 capacitive sensors and a touch screen with my Teensy 4.0.
    When I touch or release the screen or the sensors, I hear a pretty loud buzzing sound from the Audio Board, but only when the line input is enabled.
    There is no noise when I switch to the microphone.

I have LM358 op amp as a buffer for the guitar input connected to the Audio Board "line in". The preamp is not screened at all, bare bones.
    The screen is Paul's ILI9341.
    What can I do to reduce the noise? The

Thank you.

Sounds to me like a "ground-loop" caused by common currents in the power line connection. These can be real nasty to track down because they can be dependent on your wiring. I've had that problem from time to time, and now I use audio transformers in non critical cases to completely isolate the audio board input ground from the driving circuitry.

PJRC sells a audio ground loop isolator here for $6 (it's an in-line transformer) which may be something to try.

I see what you mean, Derek, but my guitar buffer (LM358) is powered by the same Teensy.
    Everything is on the same board, powered by the same battery, connected to the same ground.
    The guitar pickups are passive, plugged into the op amp.

I don't know, but this thread seems to have some relevant things to say about capacitive sensors and grounding: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?t...302#msg3300302

Also: "The grounding of the Arduino board is very important in capacitive sensing. The board needs to have some connection to ground, even if this is not a low-impedance path such as a wire attached to a water pipe." from https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CapacitiveSensor/

Long shot, if you still have issue after checking for ground loops:

Try lowering the current to the electrodes to a minimum that still allows function.

Register 0x5C default is 0x20. Try 0x19, 0x18, etc. Steps are 1ua each.

Also... LM358 may not be your best choice powered by the teensy. Id try a TS922. Low power, rail to rail tolerant, very low noise.

Appreciate the advice. I'm new to guitar preamps and just followed SparkFun's proto pedal diagram.
    I'll try that.

And I just found out that MPR121 (12 capacitive sensors in one chip) is no longer made and has been replaces with CAP1188.
    Maybe the CAP1188 are not as "buzzy".