Teensy 4.0 with Rev D Audio shield - no synth sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinvw2000

I have a Rev C audio shield and Teensy 3.2. It works great with the example synth files (guitar, william tell, etc.).

I plugged in a Teensy 4 with Rev D audio shield and uploaded the same files.
I made sure that Arduino IDE sees the board as a teensy 4.
Everything appears to upload correctly.
But I don't get any sound.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

First guess … The SPI pins don't map the same between the two. SPI is on the default pins - not the 'Audio Board' pins.

First guess … The SPI pins don't map the same between the two. SPI is on the default pins - not the 'Audio Board' pins.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
My understanding was that the new Rev D audio shield has all the right pin mappings for the Teensy 4.0.
Is there something else I'm missing?

I also updated to Teensyduino 1.48 just as a test. Still no go.

But as I mentioned 3.2 + REV C works just fine

Thanks!

My understanding was that the new Rev D audio shield has all the right pin mappings for the Teensy 4.0.

Yes, that's correct.

Those synth examples don't use the SD card at all. But if they did, as long as you don't edit them to SDCARD_BUILTIN, they will work with the SD card on the Rev D audio shield.

I have one here on my desk which ran the WavFilePlayer example for many hours while overclocked to 960 MHz.

t4.jpeg

You don't need this heatsink for normal operation. It's only needed if you use the faster overclocking options, which are new in 1.48 in the Tools > CPU Speed menu.

Is there something else I'm missing?

Yes, there must be.

But what that thing is... who can say from only this message? Maybe show us a photo. Maybe we'll be able to notice something when we can see it.

Ok, bonehead mistake on my part...

With the 3.2 I was just slipping the 3.2 pins into the holes directly on the audio board. No socket, no solder.
And it luckily was making a good connection.

When I did the same thing with the 4.0 it apparently wasn't making a perfect connection somewhere.
I went ahead and soldered socket strips onto the REV D audio board and plugged in the 4.0 and now it works fine.

Sorry to trouble you with this one.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back