MacOS 10.15 Catalina

PaulStoffregen

Is anyone using MacOS 10.15 Catalina yet?

Looks like Apple has finally disallowed the method we've been using to modify a copy of Arduino. We may soon have to provide a complete copy of the IDE for Mac users.

If you have Catalina & Teensy, please reply here or just subscribe to this thread. I'm going to need feedback from anyone with Catalina as I work on solving these problems.

I have it running here (Catalina and Arduino 1.8.10 and Teensyduino 1.48) . Install was some days ago. I remember that there was an additional hurdle, but I got over it. Don’t remember details, so will uninstall everything and start over with documentation. Stay tuned.

OK, re-did everything. The struggle is twice in a similar way, once for Arduino, and once for Teensyduino.
After unpacking the downloaded Arduino.zip and moving the App into the Applications folder, you make a first attempt to start Arduino which seems to fail already:
Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.04.15.png
Click "Show in Finder" and then right-click the Arduino app:
Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.05.00.png
In the now open context menu CONTROL+Click "Open" (!important!), then you see a different dialog:
Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.05.26.png
The middle button "Open" allows you to launch Arduino. This is a one time action. From now on, Arduino can be started in the usual way.

For the now following Teensyduino installation, see next post.

Last edited:
Open the freshly downloaded Teensyduino.dmg with a double click:
Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.06.48.jpg
It seems that it can't be installed. But it can. Click "OK". Make a right click on it:
Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.07.15.jpg
Again, as before with Arduino, in the now open context menu CONTROL+Click "Open" (!important!), then you see a different dialog:
Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.07.40.jpg
Now, still as before with Arduino, click the middle "Open" button to start the installation, which then goes without struggle and hassle:
Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.07.50.pngCapture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.07.59.pngCapture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.08.05.pngCapture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.08.11.pngCapture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.08.23.png
Start Arduino again and enjoy the integrated Teensyduino:
Capture d’écran 2019-10-14 à 16.09.08.png

That workaround (right click the app, control+click "open") at the first launch does actually apply to almost all apps which aren't distributed through the Apple app store. It's the same with other popular non-app store apps like Gimp, Inkscape, Eclipse, and so on.
Bundling Teensyduino with the Arduino app will reduce the number of extra clicks (and would considerably shorten my tutorial above), but would not solve any problem at its roots. The logical steps were that Arduino deploys its IDE through the App store, first, and then in a second step, that Teensyduino would also be deployed there.

A dumb question, doesn't Arduino has a built in mechanism to support third party boards and libraries? What do other hardware vendor do?

They do. But that's not enough to add all the additions (and bug fixes and improvements) which Teensyduino brings to Arduino.

Looks like Apple has finally disallowed the method we've been using to modify a copy of Arduino. We may soon have to provide a complete copy of the IDE for Mac users.

If you have Catalina & Teensy, please reply here or just subscribe to this thread. I'm going to need feedback from anyone with Catalina as I work on solving these problems.

If you have Catalina & Teensy, please reply here or just subscribe to this thread. I'm going to need feedback from anyone with Catalina as I work on solving these problems.[/QUOTE]

did a fresh Catalina install, install Arduino - open arduino and compile a example file with a Arduino board = compile fine
install teensyduino ( allowing on security and privacy to open anyway - see attach image )
ran the installer open a sample for teensy = error message and not compiling error ( Exception in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException at processing.app.macosx.ThinkDifferent$4.lambda$openFiles$0(ThinkDifferent.java:98) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748))

my solution was to give it full disk access from system preferences - security and privacy

now teensy compiles

Security___Privacy.jpg

Just made the mistake of updating Mac to 10.15. I looked around in the forum first but missed this thread. dang!

The @Theremingenieur and @Balum methods don't work for me. I can't get the Security & Privacy window to show that "Teensyduino-app" line at all as above.

Arduino 1.8.10 and Td 1.48 were working fine on Mac 10.14. but after the upgrade, Arduino quits while showing:
keystrokes.jpg

Tried fiddling with various security settings but same result. Reinstalled both, same result.

Note that apple had said they were not going to allow un-identified developers although the Arduino 1.8.10 showed as un-identified but worked with the usual cntr-open buttons before the Teensduino install.

I can report that today after doing nothing more than having the Mac sleep overnight, not turned off, Catalina, Arduino 1.8.10, and Teensduino 1.48 seem to be happy again. Perhaps all the re-arranging that the MacOS does in the background with a new system install was not complete.

I do not know if a re-install of 1.8.10 and 1.48 was needed or not, perhaps if I had waited it would have worked? I have Arduino allowed under Accessibility, Input Monitoring, Full Disk Access and Files and Folders in Security & Privacy/Privacy. I will try to remove some of them and see what happens.

As noted above I have tried to set the highest security settings.

Unfortunately, Full Disk Access is required.
Accessibility is not required.
Input Monitoring is requested once at App startup but not required AFAIK.
Network connections is requested every time App is started, but can be denied.

The 'Files and Folders' in Security & Privacy / Privacy preference used to be Arduino -> Documents folder. That may have to be deleted so the 'Full disk access' will work.

good luck !

I cannot even install a new Arduino app. I get a vague message about “Arduino.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. The (?) icon next to it does not even respond, so this must be something not very well thought out. This is with 1.8.10 from the arduino.cc website.

EDIT: OK, grmbl. It is another instance of the "move to applications, click right and then open anyway" fake-security things.

Last edited:
EDIT: OK, grmbl. It is another instance of the "move to applications, click right and then open anyway" fake-security things.

This is not a 'fake' security thing. This is circumventing all the work Apple does to help developers make their code and your computer secure. Unfortunately, most open source developers don't use much of it. Perhaps for legal reasons they fear that code signing their apps makes them responsible for any problems.

As it is now we have to give the Arduino app total access to our computers and hope that somebody hasn't put something in the code.

Same issue

I can report that today after doing nothing more than having the Mac sleep overnight, not turned off, Catalina, Arduino 1.8.10, and Teensduino 1.48 seem to be happy again. Perhaps all the re-arranging that the MacOS does in the background with a new system install was not complete.

I do not know if a re-install of 1.8.10 and 1.48 was needed or not, perhaps if I had waited it would have worked? I have Arduino allowed under Accessibility, Input Monitoring, Full Disk Access and Files and Folders in Security & Privacy/Privacy. I will try to remove some of them and see what happens.

I'm having the same problem, unfortunately a computer nap was not sufficient to fix mine.

edit

I'm having the same problem, unfortunately a computer nap was not sufficient to fix mine.

Edit, this is the message for me:

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Mac OS X), TD: 1.48, Board: "Teensy 4.0, Serial, 600 MHz, Faster, US English"

loading libs from /Users/mein/Documents/Arduino/libraries: reading dir /Users/mein/Documents/Arduino/libraries: open /Users/mein/Documents/Arduino/libraries: operation not permitted

Error compiling for board Teensy 4.0.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Did you see the madness Catalina did to people with gmail, random email deletions and blank sent folders. Lol apple messed up big time

Cannot get it to work here : Catalina 10.15.1 Beta (19B77a) & freshly installed Arduino 1.8.10 & Teensyduino 1.48

I had a few times the Keyboard Accessibility popup, but Arduino didn't appeared in the accessibility menu so impossible to grant any rights.
It stop asking after a reboot but the Arduino doesn't start.

I have the splash screen with initialization (up until "starting...") then the app close.

The ctrl+open tricks does nothing.

Giving full access to the harddrive actually fixed the issue, but the arduino doesn't appear in the list of app with full drive access :/

Just made the mistake of updating Mac to 10.15. I looked around in the forum first but missed this thread. dang!

The @Theremingenieur and @Balum methods don't work for me. I can't get the Security & Privacy window to show that "Teensyduino-app" line at all as above.

Arduino 1.8.10 and Td 1.48 were working fine on Mac 10.14. but after the upgrade, Arduino quits while showing:
View attachment 17921

Tried fiddling with various security settings but same result. Reinstalled both, same result.

Note that apple had said they were not going to allow un-identified developers although the Arduino 1.8.10 showed as un-identified but worked with the usual cntr-open buttons before the Teensduino install.

I got the exact same message, but ignored it. I fixed my problems by going into security and giving full access to arduino :)

Operation not allowed because of permissions

I have the same problem, the only boards that are working are Arduino.

Upgrade to teensy 1.48 beta 1 or later ( I'm running 1.49 beta 3). Ensure you have given arduino full permissions before running the teensy installer...leave arduino open.
Had massive issues ( i was running the catalina betas) but all is working perfectly now...
oh and do the right click open if you get the can't verify message.

Registered to share my woes with Catalina. Right now I'm unclear where to find the teensy 1.48 or 1.49 beta, but I'll dig around.

I have the same problem as kidkill in #15,
loading libs from /Users/hugh/Documents/Arduino/libraries: reading dir /Users/hugh/Documents/Arduino/libraries: open /Users/hugh/Documents/Arduino/libraries: operation not permitted

I have the same problem as kidkill in #15,
loading libs from /Users/hugh/Documents/Arduino/libraries: reading dir /Users/hugh/Documents/Arduino/libraries: open /Users/hugh/Documents/Arduino/libraries: operation not permitted

I have the same problem on catalina. I have tried reinstalling arduino, teensyduino, and even the beta arduino. The teensyduino does not recognize beta arduino as a supported instance. This problem is holding up my development efforts.

I recently updated to MacOS Catalina and using my previous installs of Arduino after giving them access in the system preferences I have had no problems with it.

Back