EL Wire: Control/blink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear community! Long time no post.

I've recently got some EL wire and a voltage converter, so looking for an advice on my project.

Prerequisites:
- I have 6 pieces of EL wire
- I want to be able to switch on and off any of them at any given time, up to the situation, where all of them are switched off or on
- I want to use a single voltage converter

I've looked up the Internet and found out that it's relatively easy to control EL wire current flow with a TRIAC, causing it eventually to lit or not. I saw a lot of schemes, where TRIAC is placed before the converter. Meaning, if I have 6 pieces of EL Wire, I'll need 6 converters. Not something I am aiming at, since pieces are not that big to dedicate a converter to each of them.

I've also found these schemes: https://chioszrobots.com/2013/09/06/triac-z0103ma-600v-1a/
The first and the last ones, as you can see, have TRIACS after the converter, which gives me a hope I can put all my TRIAC logic after a single converter and then interrupt or allow the current flow into any of EL Wire pieces.

However, the SPARKFUN (or ADAFRUIT) has a big NOTE next to their EL Wire tutorial: NEVER let current flow into the Converter if no load is attached, since that can damage the converter electronics.
Do you know anything about it? Is it true? Any way to workaround this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back