qvgatest_touch plexiglass base as shown in this URL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetee

qvgatest_touch plexiglass base as shown in this URL: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/TG395I75
Does anyone know where to buy the above, or something close, or have CAD files?
Thank you all and to Paul & contributors of Teensy designs on OSHPARK.
LOVE PURPLE PCBs!
display_ili9341_touch.jpg

It was made by an Epilog Mini 18 laser cutter, using a sheet of ordinary 1/4 inch thick acrylic. I'll attach the file, in both SVG and Corel Draw format. The thin black line is where the laser cuts. The thick colored lines are ignored by the laser and are meant only to visualize the position of the PCBs.

After cutting, the 6 holes were tapped with a #4-40 tap. I used an Enco auto-reversing tapping adaptor on my drill press, with the belts configured for the slowest speed (about 100 rpm). Those tap adaptors aren't cheap, about $150-200 used, and $500 new. But if you're on a budget and have patience and the willpower to hold you hand steady to keep the tap bit at a right angle to the plastic, the holes can be tapped using an inexpensive tap wrench. But using a power tool is so much quicker and more satisfying. ;)

The 4 short standoffs are Keystone 4800, and the 2 taller ones are similar Keystone parts. The board is held by 3/16 #4-40 machine screws.

qvga.png

If you don't have access to a laser cutter or you'd prefer to avoid the work of tapping threads into the holes, another pretty easy way to make this base is to have a company like Tap Plastics cut the acrylic for you. Then you can just drill the holes with an ordinary drill press or even a hand drill if you're careful to clamp the material still and make a center indent so the drill bit doesn't "wander" before entering the plastic. That standoffs are made with female threads on both sides, so you can just drill the hole a slightly larger size and use a longer screw to go all the way through the material. The final result is almost as good (depending on your skill with drilling), just 6 screw heads on the bottom side rather than a nice flush material.

Attachments

• qvga_touch_test2_base.zip
    386.8 KB · Views: 51
Oh, opps, looks like this file is for a newer version that I never got around to publishing. Sorry, I don't have the file for laser cutting the older base.

The newer version has a ZIF socket for the display, a pushbutton for restarting the testing, and pass/fail lights... so was can have a person quickly & easily test a batch of these displays.

qvga2.jpg

qvga3.jpg

Hopefully it's easy to see these bases are just a piece of acrylic with holes drilled and tapped. Whether you cut the plastic with a laser or saw, and make the holes with the laser or a drill, it's really pretty simple stuff. That is, if you have access to the tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back