All in one workstation solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orhema

I have a fair complex idea in mind, maybe to complex for a beginner, but its the only way I can motivate myself to even try it and be fulfilled. I may sound like I know what I'm saying in the paragraph below, but I really don't. I am just able to surf for long periods of time and remember the keywords necessary for my intentions.

To give you a brief overview , I am trying to build an analog synthesizer, that can be controlled by digital parameters, but can also control digital parameters. It's going to basically be an analog/digital synthesizer and workstation. I have a friend who is going to be handling all the software related build in Juce and the Linux distro we will be using for the OS platform and development, So I don't really have to think about that.

My task is concerned with the hardware and firmware. we decided to use an X86 platform, which is the Udoo x86. My partner said it was better for audio related development. The udoo has an Arduino Leonardo embedded through the Leonardo serial. I decided I didn't want to use the Leonardo for the other peripherals such as sequencers and encoders since I'm pretty new to all of this anyways, so I decided to use another platform and found the teensy 4.0 which now supports better polyphony. That's why I decided to save 100 hours of countless internet surfing, I should just ask general questions first.
I know this is an overly ambitious project, but no one has done anything like it in the DIY world, so I decide it would be fun to see how far I can go with it and post it on here.

Thank you for all your help and all you do.

I'm a little confused. You're talking about using Juce on Linux. But then you're talking about polyphony on Teensy, which doesn't seem to make much sense if you're doing all the audio synthesis on the X86 processor running Linux.

If you *do* want to perform audio synthesis on the Teensy, the best general answer I can give for such a general question is this 31 page tutorial. There's also a 45 minute video walkthrough which can really help if you get stuck, or if you'd prefer to just watch me & Alysia do the tutorial.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/audio_tutorial_kit.html

Many features have been added to the audio library since that tutorial was written, but it does cover all the basics pretty well. Once you're familiar with the design tool, take a little time to browse through the many synthesis and effects features it offers.

Of course for a full audio workstation with a traditional GUI on a large screen, you definitely want to use a PC class system. Teensy just doesn't have enough memory for such graphics work.

I'm a little confused. You're talking about using Juce on Linux. But then you're talking about polyphony on Teensy, which doesn't seem to make much sense if you're doing all the audio synthesis on the X86 processor running Linux.

If you *do* want to perform audio synthesis on the Teensy, the best general answer I can give for such a general question is this 31 page tutorial. There's also a 45 minute video walkthrough which can really help if you get stuck, or if you'd prefer to just watch me & Alysia do the tutorial.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/audio_tutorial_kit.html

Many features have been added to the audio library since that tutorial was written, but it does cover all the basics pretty well. Once you're familiar with the design tool, take a little time to browse through the many synthesis and effects features it offers.

Of course for a full audio workstation with a traditional GUI on a large screen, you definitely want to use a PC class system. Teensy just doesn't have enough memory for such graphics work.

Thank you for providing an answer in my otherwise ambiguous statement. The last line of your reply is what we plan to do. A full audio workstation with a traditional GUI on a large screen, that is what Juce and the Linux on the X86 will be for. As you stated, the Audio synthesis aspect is what I intend to do on the Teensy. I intend to have a systems that can bypass the whole workstation business and just be its own thing whenever I just want a standalone synthesizer or midi controller (I.e an analog synthesizer with digital controls and effects). The reason for this is like I stated, I'm still a beginner so I'm sure there are better ways to accomplish my task, such as building a system from the ground up with a custom dev board and all that. However, my best option is to use the teensy's power to do all the audio prcoessing for all the peripherals and modules, after which I figure out how to iinterface that with the single board computer. I also considered using an Fpga for fm synthesis, but I wonder if the Teensy has enough memory capabilitis for that as well. Thank you .

Sorry about that, I guess I thought that I had inserted the question as I was describing my intent. In simple terms, my question would be how to use the teensy for audio synthesis related functions with peripherals and all that, and then interface that with the single-board computer that does the heavy lifting of the actual workstation system. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back