Need syncing for dummies instructions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

RokGoblin

I am attempting to use 2 OctoWS2811 w/Teensy 3.2 boards and need assistance getting sync to work. I have searched and cannot find a syncing 101 tutorial that shows how to get things started. I've found the basic documentation, but that was not helpful to me, I'm a bit of a n00b of sorts.

I assumed there was some logic that would auto detect if two or more Octos had their sync port tied together, but after tying my 2 boards together via sync nothing has happened. For example, when programming synced devices, do you keep them all plugged in and synced or do you need to remove the Teensy and program them one at a time? Currently I removed them both and programmed both independently. Each Teensy is programmed with identical code and both get powered at the same time when the power switch is toggled, but that didn't work.

In it's current incarnation this is intended to operate as a standalone system, plug and play. I'm also working on using the same controller for Pixel Mapping or matrix/array output using Glediator/Jinx once I get this sync stuff figured out.

Is there some code snippet I need to include to initialize one Teensy as the master and the other(s) as slaves?

I am NOT using a PC to drive this
There are NOT any USB hubs
There is NOT an SD card in the mix

I've included the code I am using below which is a modified soundmems_demo that came under the OctoWS2811 examples. Once I switch to Glediator this code will obviously be archived and I will need more help there, that will be saved for another thread.

Here are some photos of my setup as it stands now, I am open to some redesign if required, I just kinda went for it with this project and I have ZERO electronics education. Please note in the first photo my sync ports are not tied together, but they are NOW. You can also see in the second photo that the sync is not "syncing". It "works" but I am obsessed with the sync issue, especially moving into the pixel mapping, that will be another nightmare for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

20190906_201453.jpg
20190907_005903.jpg

Code:
/* soundmems_demo

By: Andrew Tuline

Date: December 2017

Updated: September 2018

Now with FIFTEEN, YES, FIFTEEN 1D sound reactive routines. Some look similar to the others, so I've spread them out.

These sound reactive program does not use FFT or an MSGEQ7 chip, but rather just uses the current sample, the average (of the last 64 samples) and peak detection.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The Sparkfun MEMS microphone I use SHOULD be powered with 3.3V. If you do so, you need to connect the 3.3V pin on the Arduino to the AREF pin on your Arduino.

Furthermore, you will need to uncommment the following line in setup:

//  analogReference(EXTERNAL);                                                    // Comment out this line for 3.3V Arduino's, ie. Flora, etc.

If you power your microphone from 5V or are using a 3.3V Arduino, such as a Flora, etc, then leave the line commented out.

Features:

- 10^h^h15, count 'em 10^h^h15 different awesome sound reactive display routines.
- Broken out functionality into separate .h files for readability.
- Only ONE delay statement in the setup. That's it. Delay statements have no place in the loop.
- Uses a variable rate EVERY_N_MILLISI() function instead.
- Trying to localize and tighten up the variable definitions as much as possible.
- Uses the 3.3V Sparkfun MEMS microphone with a whopping 67 dba gain.
- Uses a potentiometer to adjust sensitivity.
- Uses FastLED palettes, palette transitioning, beats, fading, fast math as well as perlin noise functionality.
- No floating point math. I use 8 or 16 bit for better performance.
- Shows that you don't need gobs of code to come up with a cool display sequence.

Not features:

- Not object oriented.
- Not passing variables or structs to/from functions.
- Sorry, but I prefer Java style curly brackets and not C style. Maybe that's because I don't use a real IDE and I'm not a real programmer.
- This probably won't scale beyond 255 LED's. I'll leave that job up to you.

Notes:

- This comes preconfigured for 60 APA102 LED's and a 3.3V Sparkfun MEMS microphone. Reconfigure and compile this for your own environment.
- Comment the analogreference(EXTERNAL) line if using a 3.3V Arduino OR a 5V microphone.
- This requires a potentiometer to adjust sensitivity. I use a linear 10K.
- This runs at about 430 loops per second on an Arduino Nano with 60 APA102's. If you add routines, do NOT add delay statements or I will find you, and . . .

*/
#include <OctoWS2811.h>

// Use qsuba for smooth pixel filtering and qsubd for digital pixel filtering.
#define qsubd(x, b)  ((x>b)?b:0)                                                // Digital unsigned subtraction macro. if result <0, then => 0. Otherwise, take on fixed value.
#define qsuba(x, b)  ((x>b)?x-b:0)                                              // Analog Unsigned subtraction macro. if result <0, then => 0. By Andrew Tuline.

#include "FastLED.h"                                                            // FastLED library.

#if FASTLED_VERSION < 3001000
#error "Requires FastLED 3.1 or later; check github for latest code."
#endif

// Fixed hardware and FastLED definitions cannot change on the fly.
//#define LED_DTXX    6
//    /*
#define LED_DT1    2                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT2    14                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT3    7                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT4    8                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT5    6                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT6    20                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT7    21                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT8    5                                                                // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT9    2                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT10    14                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT11    7                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT12    8                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT13    6                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT14    20                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT15    21                                                               // Data pin to connect to the strip.
#define LED_DT16    5                                                                // Data pin to connect to the strip.
//    */
//#define LED_CK 11                                                               // Clock pin for WS2801 or APA102.
#define COLOR_ORDER GRB                                                         // It's GRB for WS2812 and BGR for APA102.
#define LED_TYPE WS2813                                                         // Using APA102, WS2812, WS2801. Don't forget to modify LEDS.addLeds to suit.
#define NUM_LEDS 150                                                             // Number of LED's.

// Fixed sound hardware definitions cannot change on the fly.
#define MIC_PIN    A5                                                            // Microphone on A5. (19)
#define POT_PIN    A4                                                            // Potentiometer on A4. (18)
//#define BUT_PIN   A3                                                            // Button on A3. (17)

// Global FastLED variables
uint8_t max_bright = 255;                                                       // Maximum brightness, does change in other programs.
struct  CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];                                                    // Initialize our LED array.

CRGBPalette16 currentPalette(PartyColors_p);
CRGBPalette16 targetPalette(PartyColors_p);
TBlendType    currentBlending = LINEARBLEND;                                    // NOBLEND or LINEARBLEND

// Global timer value
uint8_t timeval = 20;                                                           // Currently 'delay' value. No, I don't use delays, I use EVERY_N_MILLIS_I instead.
uint16_t loops = 0;                                                             // Our loops per second counter.

// Global sound variables used in other routines.
uint16_t oldsample = 0;                                                         // Previous sample is used for peak detection and for 'on the fly' values.
bool     samplepeak = 0;                                                        // The oldsample is well above the average, and is a 'peak'.
uint16_t sampleavg = 0;                                                         // Average of the last 64 samples.

// Global visual variables used in display and other routines.
bool thisdir = 0;                                                               // Used in a display routine as well as a support routine.

void setup() {

delay(3000);                                                                  // A delay in case things don't work correctly. I use this for Pro Micro.

//  analogReference(EXTERNAL);                                                    // Comment out this line for 3.3V Arduino's, ie. Flora, etc.

//  LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT, LED_CK, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);  // Use this for WS2801 or APA102
// LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DTXX, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);
// Added a bunch of strips that are mirroring the output of the first strip
//    /*
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT1, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT2, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT3, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT4, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT5, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT6, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT7, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT8, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
/*LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT9, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT10, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT11, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT12, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT13, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT14, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT15, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
 LEDS.addLeds<LED_TYPE, LED_DT16, COLOR_ORDER>(leds, NUM_LEDS).setCorrection(TypicalLEDStrip);          // Use this for WS2812
    */
  FastLED.setBrightness(max_bright);
  set_max_power_in_volts_and_milliamps(5, 1300);                                 // G! Originally 5, 500 // FastLED Power management set at 5V, 500mA.

Serial.begin(57600);                                                          // Serial port speed for debugging.

} // setup()

// Include various routines. Makes for an easier to read main program.

#include "soundmems.h"                                                          // Sample the sounds and provide a current sample, average of last 64 samples and boolean peak (for twinkles).

#include "support.h"                                                            // A few extra routines for good luck.

// Main sound reactive routines
#include "pixels.h"         // Long line of colours //G! brighter mostly lit bouncing colors cycling back and forth
#include "fillnoise.h"      // Center to edges with base color and twinkle  //G! mostly one color  cycling  with white raindrops both directions
#include "jugglep.h"        // Long line of sinewaves  //G! mellow and slow with white spots and rotating color fade
#include "ripple.h"         // Juggle with twinkles  //G! whit strobing with colored pulses  from the center outwards
#include "pixel.h"          // Long line of colours  //G! mostly lit entire strips with cycling wave from start to ends
#include "matrix.h"         // Start to end with twinkles  //G! matrix with white twinkles and color bars moving from start to end
#include "onesine.h"        // Long line of shortlines  //G! many short colors bars of about 6 or 7 LEDs with white strobing  back and forth
#include "noisefire.h"      // Start to end  //G! fire style VU meter with blank spaces growing from start to end
#include "rainbowbit.h"     // Long line of short lines with twinkles //G! rainbow span mid length with white sparkles start to end
#include "noisefiretest.h"  // Center to edges //G! fire VU meter growing from the center out
#include "rainbowg.h"       // Long line with flashes //G! full strip in solid color fading start to end wave in both directions and pulses
#include "noisewide.h"      // Center to edges  //G! full strip color noise or confetti from the cener outwards to start and end
#include "plasma.h"         // Long line of short lines  //G! mostly lit from center to ends with movement in both directions
#include "besin.h"          // center to edges with black  //G! Constantly pulsign and color changing from center outwards to start and ends
#include "noisepal.h"       // Long line  //G! Rotating color pallate with confetti from cener to outwards to start and end
// Additional routines added by G!
#include "Gsine.h"          // G! First modification copied from onesine
#include "Gnoisefireshizz.h"          // G! First modification copied from noisefiretest

// Test sound reactive routines

typedef void (*SimplePatternList[])();                                          // List of patterns to cycle through.  Each is defined as a separate function below.

//SimplePatternList gPatterns = {Gsine};  //G! for testing a single pattern // HERE IS WHERE YOU ADD YOUR ROUTINE TO THE LIST!!!!
SimplePatternList gPatterns = {Gsine, pixels, fillnoise, jugglep, ripple, pixel, matrix, onesine, noisefire, rainbowbit, noisefiretest, rainbowg, noisewide, plasma, besin, noisepal};  // HERE IS WHERE YOU ADD YOUR ROUTINE TO THE LIST!!!!

uint8_t gCurrentPatternNumber = 0;                                              // Index number of which pattern is current.

void loop() {                                                                   // The >>>>>>>>>> L-O-O-P <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  is buried way down here!!!11!1!

soundmems();

//  showfps();                                                                  // Show the frames per second. It had better not dip too far.

EVERY_N_MILLISECONDS(20) {  //G! originally 20ms
    uint8_t maxChanges = 24;
    nblendPaletteTowardPalette(currentPalette, targetPalette, maxChanges);      // Awesome palette blending capability.
  }

EVERY_N_MILLIS_I(thisTimer,timeval) {
    thisTimer.setPeriod(timeval);                                               // We can change the timeval on the fly with this line, which is pretty sweet.
    gPatterns[gCurrentPatternNumber]();                                         // Call the current pattern function.
  }

EVERY_N_SECONDS(5) {                                                          // Change the target palette to a 'related colours' palette every 5 seconds.
    uint8_t baseclr = random8();                                                // This is the base colour. Other colours are within 16 hues of this. One color is 128 + baseclr.

targetPalette = CRGBPalette16(  CHSV(baseclr + random8(64), 255, random8(128,255)),
                                    CHSV(baseclr + random8(64), 255, random8(128,255)),
                                    CHSV(baseclr + random8(64), 192, random8(128,255)),
                                    CHSV(baseclr + random8(64), 255, random8(128,255)));
  }

FastLED.show();                                                               // Send the 'leds' array out to the actual LED strip.

EVERY_N_SECONDS(30) {                //G! originally 10 sec                     // Change the current pattern function periodically.
    nextPattern();
  }

} // loop()

#define ARRAY_SIZE(A) (sizeof(A) / sizeof((A)[0]))                              // Kriegsman came up with this line. I knew what it did at one time. . Something, something make an array with enough room for the function names something. .

void nextPattern() {                                                            // Add one to the current pattern number, and wrap around at the end.

gCurrentPatternNumber = (gCurrentPatternNumber + 1) % ARRAY_SIZE(gPatterns);  // Another Kriegsman piece of magic.

} // nextPattern()

Keep in mind I have no experience with using OctoWS2811, but from my understanding the sync signal is not used by the library at all and is only broken out for use in the users code which can be seen with the VideoDisplay example. That being said, from what I can tell you are trying to make an audio visualizer and you effectively have two independent systems that don’t currently coordinate with each other. In order to make this have a master and slave system and still be stand-alone you probably could connect the boards through UART. Then you could have the master generate the patterns, timings, and color palettes and send that configuration over to the slave via a minimal UART protocol so they effectively start the same pattern at the same time and use the same colors.

Keep in mind I have no experience with using OctoWS2811, but from my understanding the sync signal is not used by the library at all and is only broken out for use in the users code which can be seen with the VideoDisplay example. That being said, from what I can tell you are trying to make an audio visualizer and you effectively have two independent systems that don’t currently coordinate with each other. In order to make this have a master and slave system and still be stand-alone you probably could connect the boards through UART. Then you could have the master generate the patterns, timings, and color palettes and send that configuration over to the slave via a minimal UART protocol so they effectively start the same pattern at the same time and use the same colors.
Thank you so much for your input. This is helpful. You are correct, it's intended for use as a sound reactive audio visualization controller and uses a microphone built into the controller (I was going to include line in also one day).

I've been looking at the VideoDisplay code and considering including some of it in my next phase of development with Glediator/Jinx or similar software control via PC. Admittedly, I am already toying with this idea at the same time as trying to figure out the sync stuff and having massive issues with OctoWS2811 parallel outputs instead of zig zag outputs :-(.

I will need to get familiar with UART and how to use it in my code as well. I am really at a coding 101 level currently, so just making my own UART code will be a serious challenge, but let's see where this info takes me.

Thanks again for your input and please keep it coming if someone else has any ideas for me. It's all learning at this point.

You'll definitely want a master/slave setup when trying to sync two devices. For code readability, I usually would recommend two separate code projects (one for master, one for slave), rather than a bunch of #IFDEF or condition statements in a single project. Two separate projects will help keep the code readable and aid in debugging.

If UART communication between the master and slave seems too difficult at first, it could be done with simple digital IO. For example, you could make the slave wait for any change of an input pin to initiate a sequence. That means the master just needs to flip an output pin to make the slave do its thing. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

You'll definitely want a master/slave setup when trying to sync two devices. For code readability, I usually would recommend two separate code projects (one for master, one for slave), rather than a bunch of #IFDEF or condition statements in a single project. Two separate projects will help keep the code readable and aid in debugging.

If UART communication between the master and slave seems too difficult at first, it could be done with simple digital IO. For example, you could make the slave wait for any change of an input pin to initiate a sequence. That means the master just needs to flip an output pin to make the slave do its thing. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

More gold to go on....thanks so much...I have a lot of tinkering to do with this code, and that means trial by fire, my favorite

Please keep the input flowing everyone, I'm in exploration mode and this is all learning for me and thus helpful in my pursuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back