Multiple Teensy 3.6 and 4.0 USB Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostintranslation

Hi,

I'm looking at using multiple Teensy, possibly only 4.0 but maybe 3.6 too, they would act as MIDI devices and would need to be connected together via USB, either 1-to-1, either 1-to-many through a USB hub, and exchange MID data.

Also those teensy would be powered via their regular USB port I guess unless this isn't possible when using their USB host port?

So my questions are:
- is it possible to connect 2 Teensy together, USB host to USB host?
- is it possible to connect multiple Teensy, their USB host to a USB hub?

Thanks

To avoid some confusion both Teensy 4.0 and 3.6 have two USB ports, one is configured for USB host and the other is configured for USB device modes respectively. The onboard micro USB is the device port, that being said you can connect them directly from the device port to the host port from one Teensy to another and you can connect multiple device ports to the one host port through a USB hub.

It’s probably safe to assume you can power one device connected to the USB host port, but if you are going to do more than one device it’s best to use a powered USB hub in any case. In some cases it was figured out that when overclocking because of the increased power draw of the Teensy it’s not always possible to power a device from the host port without causing issues. This was discovered when defragster was testing my USB Ethernet driver with high overclock speeds, this is also most likely subject to the computer or power supply powering the Teensy since some will allow for over the 500ma current specified for USB 2.0.

Yes right the Teensy have 2 USB, 1 device and 1 host.

Alright so the simplest solution is to have one Teensy with a hub connected to its USB Host port, and all the others with their USB device port to the hub. And I could have also products like the Launchpad or any midi controller connected to the hub. The hub being a powered one of course.

Like this:
Synths-schema.jpg

Am I correct?

Yes right the Teensy have 2 USB, 1 device and 1 host.

Alright so the simplest solution is to have one Teensy with a hub connected to its USB Host port, and all the others with their USB device port to the hub. And I could have also products like the Launchpad or any midi controller connected to the hub. The hub being a powered one of course.

Like this:
View attachment 18100

Am I correct?

Yes, that looks correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back