Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Creating a software editor

Creating a software editor

Hi, I'm making a midi controller. What software would I use to create an app which would enable a user to easily change a midi CC assignment or midi channel being sent?
    Like a configuration app. Is that possible with teensy? I'm using a teensy 2.0

There is not an easy way to do this. The basic idea is to use the USB serial port and send messages either as single letters or more structured commands from your program. The basic proof of concept is to do this from the Arduino serial terminal to your device, and then build software that can take over the serial messaging with a prettier interface once that Arduino end is working well. This splits the task into two separate parts. For the PC end anything that can produce serial messages can work, I have used processing https://processing.org/reference/lib...ial/index.html but would suggest using whatever programing environment you are already comfortable with and finding serial libraries for it rather than learning a new environment just for the job.

The best way is to write a Web Midi API based web page that connects to your Teensy via Midi and sends config data as Sysex. A lot of Midi devices are configured like this now. The biggest advantages are that (1) there is no software to install by the end-user as it is browser based and hosted on your web site, and (2) will work across Windows, Mac, Linux etc.

Have you seen https://processing.org/ ?
    This allows to make Apps for Windows, Android and Pi in an arduinoesque way, that can communicate with MIDI, COM and other channels.

Or add an ESP32 or ESP8266 to the project, that offers a webpage in WLAN or even on it's own AP to do all the config needed.
    Is a bit like shooting cannons at bugs, but we need to add a co-processor to handle different USB types already, so it is just another chip.

btw: it would be super cool to have a USB type "network adapter" that could handle a local webserver... unfortunately I am not ale to code somethig like that.

Have a look at: https://ctrlr.org/
    It has the ability to do what you want if you can program it right, the basic objects won’t be able to do it without some programming though. It allows you to attach lua scripts to different aspects of an object which can get pretty extensive. There aren’t many tutorials or documentation for it, but they have a lot of free examples that other people have made that you can look through and get ideas for. It’s exclusively MIDI so nothing special is needed to interface with it, you just select the MIDI port for your device.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasp View Post
    The best way is to write a Web Midi API based web page that connects to your Teensy via Midi and sends config data as Sysex. A lot of Midi devices are configured like this now. The biggest advantages are that (1) there is no software to install by the end-user as it is browser based and hosted on your web site, and (2) will work across Windows, Mac, Linux etc.
    This would be ideal. Reading a few bytes of sysex and storing it in eeprom is not difficult.

I did it years ago...
    https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/24537...dal-controller

You read from the eeprom during setup and the sysex code loads up the eeprom when it gets a valid message.

Warning... that code has getType() == 7 which needs updating before it will work with current Teensyduino.