Bitmap to LED strip +Bonus: in sync with sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janezek

Hello!

I'm trying to animate a 3000 pixel long WS2812B strip using a bitmap image.
In the past I have animated this strip with more basic animations using math, but now I would like to make the animations more custom by using bitmap images.

I have found examples which instantly draw a 16x16 bitmap on to a 16x16 pixel grid. What I'm searching however is how to scan and display the bitmap one row at a time... So: scan and display 1 row of bitmap, then proceed to the next row, with a refresh rate of about 1 row per 1/24th of a second.

Specifically I would like to draw in to a bitmap a sequence of pixels which would be in sync with sounds or a song, which I would analyze with a spectrogram to get the appropriate timing for spacing the sequences in the bitmap drawing.

I have found this example which uses this priniciple, but it uses a PC to analyze and send the bitmap data (along with playing a .wav at the same time to have it both play in sync) via serial to an Arduino which controls the LED strip. However I would like to do this all with only the Teensy, probably reading the bitmap off an SD card. (And also at the start of the animation send a signal to an audio player to have the light and sound in sync...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Cmht5duso

Any help or pointers would really help me out, as I'm stuck here.
Or perhaps any suggestions about hardware (is Teensy 3.2 powerful enough?) or different approaches to this concept of drawing custom animations and having them sync with sounds... I have considered using DMX software like MadMapper, but I think that if it would be possible to be run on only a Teensy, that it would be a far more elegant solution.

hi. you might find the post here useful as it describes reading a bmp for image display, and later in the thread describes how to use this for light painting. This is useful as it reads one line at a time to the display. the post you want is probably #223

the code for using Teensy 3.6 onboard SD for light painting is at this thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/30020...uild-Tutorial/
post # 223

Cant help with the sound part I'm afraid.

Wow, that was easy! It works perfectly and it's so plug & play, I love it!
I expected it was going to take me 3 days to get something working in the ballpark of this...
I'm lucky that you, the author of that post, are here. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back