usbMIDI.read to dual 595 shift registers and 16 leds..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imbecillen

I'm currently trying to use the usbMIDI.read function for Teensy and want to convert the midi data to light up 16 leds, through 2 daisychained 595 shift registers.

The hardware is debugged and works perfectly with a running light sketch. But I can't grasp how I should think with midi feedback and shiftOut.

I would appreciate if someone could give me a hint about how to approach this in a text description rather than code. Can't seem to find any similar projects or get my mind around it.

Do I need to make an array to store the midi notes in after the reading and before the shiftOut?

ShiftOut is the "program" for how to convert the midi data to bits and bytes right? If I need an array, should it be inside the shiftOut or outside?

The "write command", should I place it in the loop or do it via an extra void? I guess it needs to be linked to the loop to actually write out the notes when they are read?

Thanks in advance!

Some reading:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_midi.html

(Cross posting with the Arduino forum > multiplexing and leds, to get as much help as possible)

Not sure what the 'perfectly with a running light sketch' looks like? How it feed the LEDS through the 595 shift registers?

Somewhere it has the data arranged to control/feed the lights in that test? Some set of 16 bits or bytes sent to the 595's.

To make it work the 16 bits of MIDI data would just have to be placed into or mapped to the values used to feed the 'light sketch' operation as it is currently done

But rather than the code/logic used to feed the light sketch, the incoming MIDI data values would be substituted.

perhaps adding debug prints to the values pushed to the 595's in 'perfectly with a running light sketch'

Then doing a similar print of the data received from the MIDI code.

Then the MIDI version of printed data would need to be mapped and presented that same as the 'perfectly with a running light sketch' and substituted in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back