Problem with controling a Line6 Helix with usbmid with my teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollii

Hello, I'm trying to control my Line6 Helix with my teensy via usbmidi. Unfortunately I seem to have a thinking error in the setup. Do any of you have an idea what I am doing wrong?

My self-made controller should execute the following line when pressing a button: usbMIDI.sendProgramChange(3, 1);
and when pressing the other button execute this command: usbMIDI.sendProgramChange(4, 1);
If I have the Teensy directly on the computer and launch the program Midi Monitor, the commands that are comimg, are looksing fine.
When I connect the Teensy to my Line6 Helix via USB hub, nothing happens. In the Helix the Midi reception via USB is switched on. I have also tried several Midichannels.
At the moment Teensy and Helix go into the USB hub. A Powerbank is connected to this hub to power the Teensy. Is this wiring the problem?

IMG_4606.jpg

In your current configuration you have no host to control the USB devices, to have the Teensy send messages to the Helix the Helix has to be connected the the Teensy's USB Host port and not the USB Device port. The commands for that type of setup will also be different as it won't be using usbMIDI, but rather the USBHost_t36 MIDI so you would have to change your code to support that, another quick option if you wanted to is to have a computer in the middle and use a simple MIDI router program to route the Teensy to the Helix. Of course that wouldn't be standalone, but it's an easy way to test it if you didn't want to touch the code for the Teensy and being that I don't know what Teensy you are using I can tell you that you can only use USB Host mode on the T3.6 or T4.0. So if you aren't using either of those you'll have to do a loopback with a computer in the middle to get this current setup working since the USB hub needs something to control it.

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I didn't understand it complete :). I'm using a Teensy 3.2. The USB hub is just for the power supply. Would it work if I connected the Helix directly to the Teensy and changed the way for the power supply? Or is that generally not possible with the 3.2? Changes to the software wouldn't be a problem (if I knew what I had to change and how).

Of course the pedal should also work without a computer (otherwise I wouldn't need the pedal ;-) ). But before I buy a bigger Teensy and rebuild everything again, I'd rather add a classic 5-pin Midiport. I would have liked to do without it, because it takes up a lot of space and in the next expansion stage I would have liked to control a second device that only usb-Midi understands.

With the Teensy 3.2 it is sort of possible to do it using USB OTG and there is some software support for it: https://github.com/felis/UHS30
Not many people have used it and I have no experience with it so I can't offer you any advice on how to use it, but you will need a USB OTG adapter to make use of it such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Femal...sr_1_3?keywords=usb+otg&qid=1574405958&sr=8-3

I can say that the part of the USB hub that you have plugged into the power bank is the part that needs to get plugged into the Teensy in order for this to work like you want it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back