Teensy 4.0 and I2S DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkfat

I am working on a DAC design using the PCM1794 with I2S support but it does not seem to work correctly.

The design for the chip is based on the typical application in the datasheet using TL074 chips as op-amps in the I/V stage.

How are you supposed to connect I2S to this chip if it looks like this on an oscilloscope? Measured directly from teensy. The frequencies measured are correct, according to the audio shield page. To me this does not really look like standard I2S, and these voltages seem really high particularly mclk. Is it even possible to use the teensy with the PCM1794, or have I missed something really obvious?

The source for the test program:

Code:
#include <Arduino.h>
#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioSynthWaveformSine   sine1;          //xy=268,404
AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;           //xy=568,403
AudioConnection          patchCord1(sine1, 0, i2s1, 0);
// GUItool: end automatically generated code

void setup() {
  AudioMemory(2000);
  sine1.frequency(2000);
  sine1.amplitude(1);
}

void loop() {

}

Attachments

• bclk.png
    bclk.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 61
  • tx.png
    tx.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 63
  • mclk.png
    mclk.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 83
  • lrclk.png
    lrclk.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 60
All Teensies generate 0 to 3.3V digital data.
If you are measuring 13.1 Vpp then your measurements are not correct.

This is measured from the ground pin on the teensy and each individual I2S output pin, and tested on different oscilloscopes. Is it impossible to measure then, or how do I do it then?

That's some pretty incredible ringing on that waveforms, almost look like your scope's probes may be defective. Or maybe you're using ordinary wires rather than proper scope probes? Or maybe an extra (and long) wire for the ground between Teensy and the scope probe?

Without a photo I can't see how you're measuring, but I can tell you 2 things with certainty. 1: Teensy doesn't produce those sorts of waveforms. 2: Using ordinary wires instead of a proper probe, or an extra long ground lead with a probe, is a well known cause of that sort of waveform.

Quick update, got it working by not changing anything really. I2S out works just fine connecting it to the DAC, no need for any resistors. Turns out to be incorrect measurements, although I haven't been able to measure the I2S signals correctly still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back