New Adafruit stacking headers that will work with Teensy 3.2/4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
I noticed Adafruit recently added a set of stacking headers for their ItsyBitsy processors that use two rows of 14 pins with one row of 5 pins in the back. That seems like a familiar size. :cool: In looking at the part number (3883) they presumably added it some time ago, but it just popped up in the new product page.

If somebody wanted a pair of 14 pin stacking headers and one 5 pin stacking header, you can order it from Adafruit. Adafruit also has low profile headers for the ItsyBitsy form factor.

FWIW, Sparkfun also has a similar set specifically for the Teensy 3.2, but their kit is now 2 13-pin headers + 1 7-pin header. This means if you can't use it for things like the audio shield which has 14 pins but does not bring out the back 5 pins. I had remembered the Sparkfun kit from when they were first released, and just ordered a few from Digikey. I didn't notice that it had changed from the 14 pin setup. That being said, it can be rather tight to get the 5 header in, and the 7 pin header is probably easier to solder:

Normally I just take longer headers and cut them down with diagonal cutters. But it takes using a rotary tool like a dremel to get the headers so they are flush and can be packed into tight spaces. Also every so often I cut the header too close and the last pin comes out.

Last edited:
Oh, and I just tried the Sparkfun headers (2 13-pin stacking headers + 1 7-pin stacking header), and I must say, I prefer having two 14-pin headers, and then using a normal 5 pin female header instead of a 5 pin stacking header (since I rarely need to stack the back row pins).

In particular, it was harder to get the last two pins (pins 12 and 13) to meet with the others. With using a normal female header, it doesn't matter if the back row pins line up perfectly, while it does matter if pin 11 is not aligned with pin 12.

Honestly, I prefer these:-

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail...LlyPW%2BOf56lo4LzJE2QfhQHm1qpRRNgmluYncIL6Q==

Might cost more but give less trouble over time. Just ordered a bag.

So what makes the Gravitech better than the other stacking headers? From the mouser page, it looks like they only come in 8 and 6 pin headers, and were originally made for wire wrap? From the sizes being 6 and 8 I imagine they were originally used by Arduino shields which had breakouts in 6 or 8 positions (later Shields grew one of the 8 position breakouts to 10 positions, bring the 2 I2C pins out to the main pins).

What attracted me to the Adafruit headers is they were exactly 14 positions. This makes it easier if the header is lining up in a prototype board to another header. Unlike the longer headers that you cut down with diagonal headers, you don't have to use a rotary tool like the dremel to smooth off the edges.

If the headers are shorter than 14 or 24 positions and you have to use smaller headers next to each other, it has been my experience that I have to use a rotary tool to shave down one end, so the header fits.

For the longer headers, I tend to use any one of these headers:

I prefer the smooth square pin of the WireWrap type. Some stackable headers I've used are pretty rough on the contact face and remind me of a file every time inserted / removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back