Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Bounce, responsiveRead and velocity for touchRead()

Bounce, responsiveRead and velocity for touchRead()

[Originally posted in the wrong thread. Sorry!]

I thought there should be something like the Bounce library for touchRead() inputs. So I adapted all those functions: risingEdge(), fallingEdge(), duration(), rebounce() etc. and added a few other features like the auto detection of the usable touchRead() range (as it varies depending on your setup and circumstances). There's also an option to make an input latchable.

I thought there should be a simple way to get quieter variable input too. So I included the "TouchVariable" class for that. And I remembered someone asking about the possibility of velocity sensitivity using touchRead() and I haven't been able to let go of that idea. So there's a "TouchVelocity" class for that.

See the video
    https://youtu.be/q51Z1SEb8Cw

or the code.
    https://github.com/joshnishikawa/Flicker

That looks Very Cool! Useful extension of touch and well played on the drum line/stick/bar ...

What is in the drum bar for sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    That looks Very Cool! Useful extension of touch and well played on the drum line/stick/bar ...

What is in the drum bar for sensors?
    Thank you! The controller is literally just 5 pieces cut from a biscuit tin and sandwiched between a strip of sponge tape and a strip of duct tape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5214.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	18308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5219.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	18309

Next time I won't run the wires under the pads though. You can probably imagine that there's a lot of interference. But, if done right, it could be the makings of very inexpensive velocity-sensitive controllers. It even works on a banana!

Caveat: I've only gotten this to work under a very specific set of circumstances (laptop on battery power, Teensy stuck directly into the banana). And even then, the responsiveness doesn't stay consistent. But the first step was proving it could be done.