Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 4 SPDIF input + ASRC

Teensy 4 SPDIF input + ASRC

Hi,

since this is my first post here, I would like to tell something about me. Regarding the teensy I am mainly interested in its audio capabilities. About one year ago I started my first DIY-DSP project. I build a freeDsp which I conrolled with an Arduino via I2C (the first time I came in contact with mirco-controller programming). This setup is also still in use in my hifi-system. However
    I am not completely content with it. A few month ago I came across the Teensy 4 with its SPDIF-in and out and the powerful audio library and I decided to give it a try. But I needed the SPDIF input...
    After spending some time with the imxrt reference manual, learnig about DMA, how the Teensy audio library works, which additianal hardware is required,... I got it finally working.

What I implemented is:

- A SPDIF input class which receives the audio data and is compatible with the audio library/ inherits from the AudioStream class.
    - The SPDIF input class also contains an ASRC algorithm (I implemented this algoritm: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/resample.pdf)
    and also a noise shaping + dithering algorithm. To get noise shaping filter coefficients, I implemented the following algorithm in Python: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ea9...ae63eb410a.pdf
    I used the same weighting function as in the paper to get the filter coefficients.

For now I am using a AudioOutputSPDIF3 object to output the audio signal. This object also has the 'update responsisbility'. On the other hand the spdif input receives audio samples at an arbitrary rate (e.g. 48kHz). The signal pipline is as follows:

spdif input (24bit samples) -> ASRC (32bit float computation) -> quantize to 16bit (+ triangular dither + noiseshaping) -> (via blocks/ audio library) spdif output

I am now wondering if there is interest to integrate the spdif input into the audio library? If so, the just let me know how to proceed.

Best regards
    Alex

If it works and you're happy for anybody to use your code then doesn't really matter if it's in the library or not - just publish it on Github and know that everyone is grateful that SPDIF is at last available. Paul can always then incorporate it at his leisure.

Ok, I'll publish the code on Github tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by alex6679 View Post
    Ok, I'll publish the code on Github tomorrow.
    Please post a link - I've an unused Teensy4 here I'll give it a go with if I've time.

Hi, today I planned to make some final test with the spdif input. I especially had a look at the behavior at different input frequency from 44,1 to 192kHz. I ended up with making various changes and I am still not completely content. The main issue is the buffer that is filled by the spdif isr and from which the resampler gets the data. I try to keep that buffer as small as possible to minimize the latency. On the other hand, the resampler should never run out of samples.
    I think I still need some days to optimize that part.

Regarding your Teensy: Is it already ready to receive a spdif signal? Are you using a toslink receiver?

Best regards
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alex6679 View Post
    Hi, today I planned to make some final test with the spdif input. I especially had a look at the behavior at different input frequency from 44,1 to 192kHz. I ended up with making various changes and I am still not completely content. The main issue is the buffer that is filled by the spdif isr and from which the resampler gets the data. I try to keep that buffer as small as possible to minimize the latency. On the other hand, the resampler should never run out of samples.
    I think I still need some days to optimize that part.

Regarding your Teensy: Is it already ready to receive a spdif signal? Are you using a toslink receiver?

Best regards
    Alex
    If you need low latency (as I always do for live sound) but are sourcing data from a variable time dependent source such as a PC, the usual way is once you've written to the buffer, if the buffer is almost empty write the same sample again. As it only tends to occur very rarely it's not noticeable and is better than outputing something random when the buffer is empty.

My Teensy's not set up but I can do. I bought it for a project but there's no way of syncing it to a master clock so I had to go back to a STMicroelectronics based board. But I'll have a play with your code when you publish it anyway as it will make a good interoperability test for that board.

Hi,

I finally published the code for the spdif input on github:
    https://github.com/alex6679/teensy-4-spdifIn
    There are also two very simple examples (example0.cpp and example1.cpp) that show how to use the spdif input class.

It works reliably with my setup, but let's see if it works for you.
    There are still some issues that I would like to mention:
    - As suggested in the resampling paper, the sinc- resampling filter is also used as anti-aliasing low pass filter. However I restricted the maximum filter length to 161 and depending on the input frequency the attenuation of high frequency is restricted. Maybe an additional anti-aliasing filter should be added.
    - The code is not optimized and the processor usage is quite high. At 48kHz input frequency the processor usage of the spdif input is 9%.

The code is not well documented yet and I think there are lots things to explain. Since I don't know if people are interested in my code, I will add some explanations if needed.

Best regards
    Alex