Analog MEMS mic connected to Audio Shield only picks up noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessr95

Hi,

I have an analog mems mic connected to the mic input on the audio shield, transmitting data via the USB to Audacity. A 25uF cap is used on the mic input line.
Whenever I click record on Audacity the same noise signal is recorded, I have tried changing the gain in the firmware and connecting to the line in pin instead but the result is always the same.
Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

The info on the part in use would be needed to give a complete answer.

The ones used by PJRC are on the website and are a Electret Condenser Microphone. Unless the MEMS mic in use presents the same signal levels and range getting noise would be the expected behavior.

It would be good, if you tested the following audio lib example: examples/HardwareTesting/PassThroughStereo.ino

Uncomment the following:

Code:
const int myInput = AUDIO_INPUT_MIC;

Connect headphones to the audio shield headphone jack.

If you do not hear anything in the headphones, then you know that your mic or cap is faulty.

If you hear the mic signal in the headphones, then your initially used USB/PC soundcard/audacity setup does not work.

This one, right?

https://www.invensense.com/download-pdf/ics-40300-datasheet/

Looks like it should work. Can you show us photos of how you've actually connected everything? And the exact code you're running? If we can see what you're actually doing, maybe we'll be able to spot the problem.

About 1 year ago someone used a similar mic (I2S, not analog). It's easy to get the wires connected backwards. Hopefully from this old thread you can see the value of sharing photos...

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/5053...S-43432-with-teensy-audio-library-not-working

Hi,

I've ran that tutorial as suggested and all I hear is noise which doesn't change if I make loud sounds (clapping etc.). Sorry I'm not able to provide pictures right now but I have a cap on the output line, connected to the Mic pin, the Vdd line is also connected to the Mic pin, and the ground is connected to the ground next to the mic pin. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

you most probably have wrong connections, because the mic has separate output and Vdd pads!!

Have a look at the data sheet page 6.

I am afraid nobody can be of more help unless you post pictures of your exact setup AND the code you are using.

Okay so this is what I have so far:

Vdd connected to 3.3V, ground connected to GND pin next to MIC pin, and output connected to MIC pin with 10uF capacitor (not 25uF I was mistaken).

The code I'm using is the PassThroughStereo example (pasted below), and all I hear is a buzzing sound coming through the headphones.
I've tried uploading pictures but everytime it says upload failed.

/*
* A simple hardware test which receives audio from the audio shield
* Line-In pins and send it to the Line-Out pins and headphone jack.
* This example code is in the public domain.
*/

#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioInputI2S i2s1; //xy=200,69
AudioOutputI2S i2s2; //xy=365,94
AudioConnection patchCord1(i2s1, 0, i2s2, 0);
AudioConnection patchCord2(i2s1, 1, i2s2, 1);
AudioControlSGTL5000 sgtl5000_1; //xy=302,184