Teensy 4.0 (3.x) using esp32 wifi

Agree_dk

Hi All,
Im new to Teensy and just got some 4.0 boards and have been looking for guide/examples/code on how to use the esp32 wifi on Teensy 4.0, but have not been abel to find it.

Have been working with the esp32 since it was born (Arduino Ide) - so Im abel to code both Teensy and esp32 - but wold love to have them integrated.

So hope someone have the rigth links to make this happen ??

Thx in advance for your support.

What are looking to do with the combination?

I've built an ESP32 add-on to my Teensy 4 breakout board and have successfully gotten firmware updates to the ESP32 to work passing through the Teensy.

I'm hoping to provide basic network capability (HTTP server as well as client, NTP, etc...) as well as Bluetooth LE services to the Teensy, but haven't decided on how to split up the functionality. Would be happy to share ideas...

Thx for your input.

My first plan was to be abel to do OTA upgrade for both esp32 and Teensy 4.0, when working with the esp32 I like it can be upgraded without unplugging it and connect to a pc first, but it seems that is not possibel on teensy boards.

So now step one will be the best wire connection between the two boards (have use serial between 2 esp32 before) with some basic test. Then make code to configure the esp32 from Teensy, including ssid, password, hostname, IP address, MTTQ & logserver (use esp32 as relay) etc - so that the esp32 is seen as a part of teensy and we only have to code for one unit.

The esp32 can be both http server & client, so we should be abel to pass data to/from the Teensy via the esp32, keep the web pages and data on Teensy.

What physical connection do you use betwen the two ?

Would be great to see the ESP32 as a common, easy, well integrated teensy peripheral.

I have a derivative of blackketter's teensy/ESP32-module board coming soon. If you are in the US, I'll send you one for alpha testing. Please do post any related software.

OTA updates of a teensy 4 are possible (search this forum for OTA).

Im based in Denmark, but if the Gerber files are free I can order some for a few US$.

There is many threads comming up when seraching for OTA, one which you started, where the klink ind the first msg is broaken.

Thx for your input.

My first plan was to be abel to do OTA upgrade for both esp32 and Teensy 4.0, when working with the esp32 I like it can be upgraded without unplugging it and connect to a pc first, but it seems that is not possibel on teensy boards.

So now step one will be the best wire connection between the two boards (have use serial between 2 esp32 before) with some basic test. Then make code to configure the esp32 from Teensy, including ssid, password, hostname, IP address, MTTQ & logserver (use esp32 as relay) etc - so that the esp32 is seen as a part of teensy and we only have to code for one unit.

The esp32 can be both http server & client, so we should be abel to pass data to/from the Teensy via the esp32, keep the web pages and data on Teensy.

What physical connection do you use betwen the two ?
You can see the design here:

https://github.com/blackketter/teensy4_esp32_breakout

It uses teensy digital pins 24, 25, 26, & 28 for a serial connection and reset for serial programming.

How are the pins used? Software serial asynchronous? Something else?

Teensy pins 24 and 25 are the hardware UART port Serial6 (pin 24 is TX6, pin 25 is RX6). From the schematic, teensy pin 26 is hooked up the ESP32 IO0 pin, teensy pin 28 is hooked up to the enable pin, and the 3.3v and ground pins are also connected. This depends on the pinout of blackketter's Teensy 4.0 breakout board.

Blackketter's board is described in this thread:

Hello, sorry to wake up an old thread. Did you ever succeed with the network stuff? Essentially making the ESP32 a wireless gateway for the Teensy?

Back