PT8211 Audio Kit for T4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the untested PCB...

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/vrRZki32

pt8211_t4.png

Interesting, that detail isn’t on the OSH Park page for the item, and makes a big difference.

I've already built several of the 3.x PT8211 boards, I wish I'd left one unassembled. But that's OK, I need to order some other stuff from PJRC anyway.

Most PCB vendors that I've looked at prices for tend to include multiple boards in the price. OSHpark will show the number of boards if you click to order the board. If you live in the USA, if you order boards, they include free shipping via the USPS (I'm not sure if the free shipping applies outside of the USA). Also, if you scroll down to the bottom of the order form, there is an add-on section that allows you to order one or more purple Teensy 4.0s for $18 each. The purple Teensy 4.0 are licensed Teensys from PJRC, but OSHpark does all of their boards in purple. If you ordered the Teensy 4.0's without ordering a PCB, you would have to pay shipping on it.

There seems to be two different parts to OSHpark. There is a side where you can order the purple Teensy 4.0's, and there is the add-on menu for PCB creation. For whatever reason, I can't seem to create an account for just buying the Teensy 4.0's without creating PCBs. And in my default X windows setup the line for add-ons is below what I normally set when I bring up the order, so I've missed it in the past. Note, you can only order Teensy 4.0's. OSHpark doesn't sell Teensy 3.6/3.5/3.2/LCs (they used to sell Teensy 3.2s but no longer do).

The downside is you have to wait for them to make the board and ship it. And of course this time of year, the USPS tends to be clogged with gifts and returns, but by the time they ship the boards, it likely will have died down.

Lets see, on my last order, I ordered two different Teensy 4.0 breakout boards (one with USB host -- $9.60 for 3 boards, one without -- $7.20 for 3 boards), plus one Teensy 4.0 for $18 (i.e. $34.80 total). I ordered the boards on November 7th in evening. The boards were mailed out on November 18th from Lake Oswego Oregon. I got the boards in Littleton Massachusetts on November 22nd. The time between ordering the boards and when they send it out depends on how many other customer's boards they are building (they wait until they fill up a large board before sending it to be fabricated).

Last edited:
I’m familiar with OSHpark , I bought a purple T4 from them, but never any bare boards. Mail is fast from Oregon to Northern California.

Yesterday, I received 6 of the untested PT8211/T4 boards Paul linked in post #2, and a few days ago, got 6 PT8211 kits from PJRC.
Today, I assembled two PT8211 for T4.

Both work fine for me.

PJRC is now shipping all PT8211 kits with 2 circuit boards, one for Teensy 3.x and one for Teensy 4.x.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/pt8211_kit.html

The PCB for Teensy 4 has "T4" printed in the middle between the capacitors.

pt8211_t4_pcb.jpg

We considered making 2 separate kits. But because the PCB is so cheap in volume and the cost of these kits is mostly labor, it makes more sense to just include both boards rather than build and stock 2 different kits.

I see stock marked 'Low' … wondering what part is keeping the kit short? I'd rush and order but shipping would be as much as a kit or two. I have one or two of the prior kits ordered and unbuilt during T4 Beta order with 3.x PCB - and Frank_B sent me a couple of the PT8211 chips - I see I have pt8211_t4 in my OSH cart.

Suppose I'll get the T4 OSH boards and parts for those chips.

Ditto to that as well. I have kits in my box as well that I keep meaning to get to. Oh well.

Maybe I should have waited a week or two before I ordered the kits :D

Yea, I lucked out. I ordered some PT8211 boards on the 30th, and did an OSHpark order as well. Paul included the last 2 beta boards in my order. So I have to imagine any new PT8211 orders might be held up waiting for the new PCBs.

Reading this I thought the T4 PCB's were on hand: "PJRC is now shipping all PT8211 kits with 2 circuit boards, one for Teensy 3.x and one for Teensy 4.x."

Paul included the last 2 beta boards in my order.

Yes, you did indeed get the last 2 purple boards from OSH Park.

Reading this I thought the T4 PCB's were on hand:

Yes, indeed, we now have green production boards with lead free solder finish, not gold ENIG finish. I think you can see the photo in msg #10 (and also on the PT8211 product page) isn't a purple OSH Park board.

Ditto to that as well. I have kits in my box as well that I keep meaning to get to. Oh well.
Maybe I should have waited a week or two before I ordered the kits :D

Kurt, Mike - remind me next time we're starting a beta test and I'll include some of the new PT8211 boards.

But you only notice this purple effect when they are put together under a full moon and then kissed by a fairy for three warm summer nights.

But you only notice this purple effect when they are put together under a full moon and then kissed by a fairy for three warm summer nights.

I'll have to look for that Purple effect FrankB :) I just ordered a set of 3 from OSH - if I can get them fairy kissed.

sorry to hijack. my teensy4.0 is happy with its PCM5102, but i've been trying to get PT8211 working on some other boards & they keep burning up. Are they 5v tolerant? datasheet says: power supply 3-6v, digital input high level max=VCC, digital input low level max = 1.8v, Input voltage max = VDD+-.3V, but also 'Supports 3.3v bus level'

I've only used PT8211 on Teensy 3.x and 4.0, always 3.3V - but these questions come to mind

'they keep burning up' - smoke? or just stop working?
What's connected to the output of the PT8211? Does it make a difference?
Do they 'burn up' immediately, or after a period of time?

I've only used PT8211 on Teensy 3.x and 4.0, always 3.3V - but these questions come to mind

'they keep burning up' - smoke? or just stop working?
What's connected to the output of the PT8211? Does it make a difference?
Do they 'burn up' immediately, or after a period of time?
no smoke, just immediately really hot with or without load.. possibly they're ok: looking at this thread, seems like the software side isnt as trivial as i thought. also they're soic "PT8211-H", which i havent seen on the datasheets.

Assuming the sparse PT8211 datasheet applies - are you using the recommended resistor and caps for the power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back