Teensy 4.0 and wireless programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paynterf

Hi,

Any chance the Teensy 4.0 has support for wireless remote programming? I'm currently using Arduino UNO & MEGA on some robotics projects, primarily because of the ease of remote/wireless programming. I have investigated this for the Teensy line, but it seems the only way to do this is to use something like a Raspberry PI as an intermediate module to connect via USB to the Teensy.

Frank

You can always do it by RPI... Example with some robot projects, I have something like an RPI3 to do the main stuff and maybe a Teensy 3.x or now 4.x to do some specific things like check sensors or drive DXL servos...

With this you have (at least) two choices of how to program the teensy.

If your RPI is setup with a desktop setup, either direct or by virtual, you can install Arduino and Teensyduino on the RPI and have it build and program the teensy. Which can be slow, although newer RPIs, at times are not too bad at this...

Or you can have your main PC build the new sketch for the teensy on your PC (windows, mac, linux...) and then transfer the resulting binary file over to the RPI, example use winscp...
Then have a command prompt on the RPI, where you use the command line tools, to reprogram the teensy (On windows I use KiTTy or PuTTy)...

In the past at times, I would hack up the system a little, to have something running on the RPI (or Odroid or ...) that checked for a new binary file that had been transferred to a known location, and try to automatically do the update... (Sort of like what the Edison used to do...)

You can search for "OTA" to find discussion of software to allow firmware updates over other channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back