T3.2, T3.6 with the Internet module on the W5500. Who is faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukashuk

Hello all!
I am starting a new project and I need to know a few things.
I have T3.2, T3.6, Internet module on the W5500
1) which of Teensy will work with the Internet faster? maybe i need to order a T4? Maybe I need to expect a T4 with an Internet module on board (I read that Paul was thinking about it)?
2) I will use the UDP protocol, possibly no more than 32 bytes. I will receive this data from Altera Max10 in parallel form of 8 bits with a clock from Teensy. So the question is: where is the bottleneck? Teensy -> Altera MAX10 or Teensy -> W5500?
3) maybe someone has a test sketch and a program for Windows? (of course, I myself can write a test example to check the speed of the Internet, I do not want to waste time).
4) Are there any faster Internet modules for working with Teensy?

1. With a W5500 I would expect the same performance between every Teensy, the builtin Ethernet on the upcoming T4 would be faster though.
2. The bottle neck is in the SPI communication to a W5500, but for small protocols (such as 32 bytes) you should be fine using that.
3. I don't know of any, but I'm sure someone has.
4. Technically yes, I did some work to get USB ethernet working and from the tests I did it is really fast besides the small added latency for USB overhead which affect TCP protocols, but not so much UDP. You would need two libraries for full UDP communication, one is just the USB ethernet driver and the other is the TCP/IP stack I chose to use, but if you can port a different one over it would work just as well. The TCP/IP stack I chose to use is FNET, which has a bit of a learning curve to it to write your own UDP interface compared to the W5500, I'm sure if someone wanted to they could write a wrapper library that could make it the same though. If your interested in this, the driver is here: TeensyASIXEthernet and my port of the FNET stack is here: FNET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back