Win 10 and Teensy 3.6

eisbear

I am using a new machine with Arduino 1.8.10. The windows version is 10.0.18362. I tried using the standard blink test with a Teensy 3.6 board and although the upload appeared to execute successfully, the blink program never executed.
I uninstalled the Arduino suite and installed Arduino 1.87 with appropriate Teensy support and everything worked perfectly.
Not sure whether the problem is the Arduino installation or the OS, though being a rational person, I suspect the OS.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Running the latest 10.0.18363 ( Ver 1909 : Fall 2019 ) - not seeing OS issues now or in prior steps to this update.

For above IDE is 1.8.10 and TeensyDuino now at 1.49 b3 - latest release of both … until 1.49 beta 4 comes out soon.

Should not be relevant - except for knowing where everything runs from without the Win Install IDE 'helping': Installs here are pull down IDE 1.8.10 ZIP install. Extract onto the root of a drive ( an SSD here not the C: drive ) : "T:\arduino_1.8.10", then TeensyDuino there and run "T:\arduino_1.8.10\arduino.exe" from there. Also allows alternate installs to be used selectively from other folders.

Nothing pops out as to a problem as posted. Can only suggest trying again?

Hi,
Thanks for the response. In both cases, I installed the 1.8.10 and 1.87 (along with the Teensy exe) from exe's, so that they ended up in the Program Files x86 folder, as I have installed three or four versions of the IDE into four separate machines over the years. In all cases, the installation of exe's has always gone off without a hitch.
What struck me is the following:
1 installed Arduino 1.8.10 and the Teensyduinoinstall on a new Win 10 machine which shipped with the OS (the 10.0.18362) installed. With this combination, compile and upload of the standard blink test to a bare teensy 3.6 resulted in no errors, but the blink test did not run. Probably tried five or six times (first time I have ever had such behavior)
Then I removed the IDE and installed via exe the IDE version 1.87 with compatible teensyduino, again from exe's and on the first try with the teensy 3.6 the blink test executed without a hitch. I re-edited the code several times, changing the delay, and everything ran with zero problems.
I may try the new IDE again some time, perhaps with a nano or uno and see if there is any difference in behavior.
I've been programming arduinos and teensys for three or four years, Have never had a problem before this.
Anyway, thanks for the response. I will say that I do not like Win 10 at all!. Perhaps the OS recognizes this ;-)
Been programming since before 1978 on Mac's, HP's, PC's, Decs, in a number of languages, so I'm used to the occasional odd behavior.

Last edited:
... I will say that I do not like Win 10 at all!. Perhaps the OS recognizes this ;-)
Been programming since before 1978 on Mac's, HP's, PC's, Decs, in a number of languages, so I'm used to the occasional odd behavior.

Indeed occasional odd behavior is … normal :)

Not liking Win 10 and having it respond in kind may be a thing - it gets my big brother's goat and I laugh. I do a lot more with it than he does and it is a Great upgrade to Win 7.

Not much info to go on, only that 1.8.10 didn't work but 1.8.7 did. If you'd like us to try to help figure out what's wrong with 1.8.10, please share a screenshot of the problem. Also in Teensy Loader, click Help > Verbose Info, and then copy that info so we can see what's really happening (at least from Teensy Loader's point of view).

Windows problems can indeed be quite mysterious. Often it's much harder to get good info about what's really going on with Windows. But at least a screenshot (ideally one with the Tools menu shown) and that verbose info log would be a starting point.

Back