How does "Get Board Info" work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulS

Hi,
How does "Get Board Info" work? I recall that I have seen it work a long time ago: a popup showing board and serial number.

GetBoardInfo.png

I tried Serial, RawHID, No USB for USB type, but I keep on getting the message in the Arduino IDE "Native serial port, can't obtain info" when clicking Get Board Info.

Windows 7, Arduino 1.8.10, Teensyduino 1.49b4, Teensy 3.2 & 4.0.

Your help is appreciated,
Paul

Indeed that doesn't seem to work on Teensy's - it may or may have worked at one time - but if so … not sure when.

There is code on forum the Teensy can get and print its serial # - and it will be exposed in Teensy Loader in the Help / Verbose Info window IIRC.

Also there is TyCommander I typically use and it presents the Serial # in the UI - allows a good Serial monitor and can integrate to Arduino to replace the Teensy Loader, and allows control/interface to multiple Teensy's for those purposes.

Okay, known issue that did/should work. As noted there are work arounds for finding Serial # - most notably TyCommander - or the Sketch itself can discover and use/print.

Teensy Loader : Help /Verbose Info does give Teensy Type as follows - but not Serial #:
01:36:13.076 (loader): Device came online, code_size = 2031616
01:36:13.078 (loader): Board is: Teensy 4.0 (IMXRT1062), version 1.05
01:36:13.086 (loader): File "SlowMicros.ino.hex". 35164 bytes, 2% used
01:36:13.088 (loader): set background IMG_ONLINE
01:36:13.327 (loader): HID/win32: HidD_GetPreparsedData ok, device still online :)

@PaulStoffregen: The indicated 'File "SlowMicros.ino.hex"' is NOT what is loaded on this board just plugged in.

edit: I have another machine running Windows 10, Arduino 1.8.8, Teensyduino 1.46: Get Board Info works OK on that version.

Yup, the Arduino devs recently broke it for non-Serial ports (or more specifically, ports using the SerialDiscovery class). I considered fixing it, but instead I decided to put my limit engineering time into fixing other more important bugs. I consider that Arduino feature to be pretty low priority.

I'll probably wait until they release 1.8.11 to make any additional patches to the Java code.

The indicated 'File "SlowMicros.ino.hex"' is NOT what is loaded on this board just plugged in.

Maybe you're reading more meaning into the verbose info than is really has?

Teensy Loader re-reads the .hex file at various times, like when it learns which type of board you have. This is done only to update the status bar with up-to-date info, just in case you're using a makefile or other non-Teensyduino tool which changes the .hex file but doesn't communicate with Teensy Loader to inform it of your changes.

Maybe you're reading more meaning into the verbose info than is really has?

Teensy Loader re-reads the .hex file at various times, like when it learns which type of board you have. This is done only to update the status bar with up-to-date info, just in case you're using a makefile or other non-Teensyduino tool which changes the .hex file but doesn't communicate with Teensy Loader to inform it of your changes.

Indeed - misreading of presented info ...

10:39:06.209 (loader): Board is: Teensy 3.1 (MK20DX256), version 1.03
10:39:06.223 (loader): File "HiLowTest.ino.TEENSY40.hex". 35788 bytes, 14% used

The two lines are unique info:
> Board going into bootloader mode :: T_3.1
> Sketch stored in TeensyLoader cache to upload :: "HiLowTest.ino.TEENSY40.hex"

Luckily the TSET build (CMDLINE of Arduino Build) from FrankB with TyCommander ends up adding the Teensy Type to the HEX file name - as above that says what the target was. Because it will upload that HEX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back