Powering T3.5 with external or USB with muxer

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisymime

I've got a project that runs 90% of the time from an externally regulated 5v supply attached to VIN. However, the other 10% of the time I need to be able to attach and use the USB, both in cases where that external 5v might be present or might not (ie I need the Teensy to still be able to be powered by USB alone if the external 5v isn't present).

Obviously by default if the external 5v is provided, I can't use the USB connection unless I either cut the on board trace or snip the power line on the USB cable. Cutting the onboard trace means I can no longer power the board with USB alone and I'd prefer not to introduce the requirement of modified USB cables.

If instead I wanted to use a muxer such as the TPS2113A, am I right in thinking that all I need to do is:
  1. Cut the onboard trace
  2. Connect the external 5v supply to one input on the TPS2113A
  3. Connect VUSB from the board to the other input on the TPS2113A
  4. Connect the output from the TPS2113A to VIN?
  5. Setup the rest of the TPS2113A for auto-switching etc.

The schematic for the Teensy 3.5 indicates that this should work given where VUSB is taken from, but I wasn't sure if there was anything I was missing around how the power selection was dealt with. In such a setup, does it matter in what order power is provided (ie external first then USB or vice versa)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back