Replacing Micro USB with USB Type C on Teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that Personal Computing devices have started moving over to USB Type C.
Apple is using it on more of their devices.
Even Sparkfun's Risc-V arduino-style has a USB C port.
Link:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15594

What are the chances of moving from Micro USB to USB-C for the Teensy platforms?

(I am now recalling the Raspi 4 fiasco...)

What do you guys think about switching to USB-C?

Is a change like this worth the extra time and labor in development?

What are the chances of moving from Micro USB to USB-C for the Teensy platforms?

Pretty much zero chance for USB-C on the next 1062-based board coming in the next several months. Don't bother asking on that thread. It will have the same Micro-B as Teensy 4.0. The goal is to keep things as similar as possible to 4.0, so it doesn't distract & delay the next board.

But maybe much better odds for the 1170-based board coming in about 1 year. That's the thread where discussing USB C connectors would make sense.

The main question I have is how common are spare USB C cables these days, and how are their prices compared to Micro-B cables?

The main question I have is how common are spare USB C cables these days, and how are their prices compared to Micro-B cables?

Amazon shows 5 packs (mix 3/3/6/6/10ft) for $12. other various combos $3-5 each common

My Samsung 2+ yrs old had USB-C and I found decent extras.

I got some ESP-32 units that came with a USB-C cable included on a $14'ish set of devices with display and other with LiPo in a case … from china of course. One was this from AMAZON $20

So becoming common and will be nice after change over is complete - but will be a painful transition.

I recently got a Dell XPS 13 Ubuntu laptop and it came with USB C slot and a short C to A cable. I also bought a small C to USB hub (with 3 A ports). I have an Adafruit STM32F405 (168MHz) that uses USB C connector. I bought a couple of Micro B USB to USB C adaptors and life with USB C is good. ;)

also upcoming ? Feather MIMXRT1062 uses USB C

Last edited:
USB-C is the defacto standard for all Android phones, Macs and some iPads. I got my first USB-C device late last year (updating my 7 year old MacBook Pro) and when I discovered that my iPhone can charge twice as fast with a USB-C PD charger I was sold.

Cables and adapters are cheap and plentiful now, the connector is much more robust mechanically and the has optional capabilities of additional power, video, USB host or device and more.

And don't even get me started on how much better life is when you don't have to flip over the cable connector to figure out which way it goes in. SOLD!

Can't wait for Teensy to make the jump!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back