Is there any Teensy 4.0 work that is in progress that I should mention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
I'm going to the Arisia science fiction convention which is held in Boston over the Martin Luther King weekend. I will be on 4 panels (including moderating one). Now for 3 of the panels, I pretty much know what I want to talk about, but the forth panel is:

The State of Microcontrollers - Art & Maker, Panel - 1hr 15min - Faneuil (3W)
Micro-controllers like the Arduino and Raspberry Pi have changed a lot in the last few years, and new devices like the Raspberry Pi 4 and the Arduino M0 and M4’s have come onto the scene. Not only are these devices more powerful but they come in smaller packages as well. Our panelists will discuss the latest tools and how they use them to make robots, art, and other awesome stuff.
Rich Maynard (m), Shirley Dulcey, Scott Lefton, Michael Meissner, Drew Van Zandt​

Obviously, I can talk about the Teensy 4.0. I can make slides of the announcement stuff, and cover the various breakout boards, and go over the 1.49 beta updates. But are there things I should mention as coming near term for the Teensy 4.0? I probably will at least allude to the 1062 respin in Teensy 3.6 form factor, saying it is likely coming in 2020, unless Paul and Robin would prefer me not to mention it.

Because it is a much further time frame (and I really haven't been following the thread in detail), I won't mention the 1170 board, unless Paul and Robin have some bullet points they want me to put up.

In case people are curious, the other panels I'm on include:
  • Using Basic Electronics in Costumes - Cosplay & Costuming, Panel
  • Photographing Respectfully - Art & Maker, Panel
  • Lighting It Up: Adding Sparkle to Your Projects - Art & Maker, Panel (this is the one I'm moderating)

I probably will also cover some of the highlights of the last few GCC releases, but at least in our world, the toolchain is somewhat dated. I understand the reasons for this is that we want to wait until T4 work settles down (which I agree with -- upgrading the compiler is lower priority than the new features).

@MichaelMeissner
Looks like it will lots of fun - just looked it up on google :) Funny thing is I used to go boston and stay at the Westin all the time before I retired so I know it well. Too bad maybe next year I will show up.

Anyway more to the point thing the T4 in the T3.6 form factor with the SD card on it is a given along with the ethernet chip so really up to Paul and Robin on the publicity. So much you can talk about - some folks have got ray tracing running on the T4 (its over in the beta thread with some performance numbers at 600Mhz). Bill G. has a version of a RTOS running on the T4 but most of the libraries are thread safe for various reasons one I think is delays. Probably Micropython could be made to run on - know the OpenMV runs an M7.

Here are the slides that I presented, not much outside of what we've discussed, other than the last 2 pages (mention Arduino Portentia & long term Teensy 1170 based board and also mention things I think the core Arduino libraries need to start thinking about):

I thought the panel went well, along the first lighting panel I was one (adding lighting to costumes). The second lighting panel I was moderating, and if I do moderating again (as opposed to being a panelist), I need to prepare more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back