Teensy 3.6 SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidiali

Hello everyone
I’m working on a Teensy 3.6 card in my project, and I’m using for that some sensors connected to the card by the I2C interface, so i want to save the data coming from the sensors to the SD card, and the problem is that i don’t know how to do it i even don’t know on which pins the SD card is connected so that’s the problem
And thank you for replying

Look at the example:
  • Examples -> SD -> ReadWrite

You will need to change the chipSelect constant to 'BUILTIN_SDCARD' to use the built-in SD card in the Teensy 3.5 or 3.6.

The cards should be formatted with the VFAT/FAT32 file system, which in turn implies using a card that is 32GB or smaller.

I don't see an entry in the PJRC.COM library for the SD library, but there is the documentation from the Arduino library that Teensy uses:

There is also a SdFat library.

Thank you for your reply
So i tried it But it shows me every time i compile that the variable name is not known (BUILTIN_SDCARD)

Thank you for your reply
So i tried it But it shows me every time i compile that the variable name is not known (BUILTIN_SDCARD)

That is a typical message if you select the wrong board (i.e. Tools -> Board -> Teensy 3.6). BUILTIN_SDCARD is only defined for the Teensy 3.5, 3.6, and 4.0 platforms. It could also be if you have an old SD directory in your Arduino directory.

I just tried this example, modifying the chipSelect line on my Teensy 3.5 and it worked fine. It also compiled fine for Teensy 3.6. I tried it with TeensyDunuio 1.47, 1.48, and 1.49-beta4.

Code:
/*
  SD card read/write

This example shows how to read and write data to and from an SD card file 	
 The circuit:
 * SD card attached to SPI bus as follows:
 ** MOSI - pin 11, pin 7 on Teensy with audio board
 ** MISO - pin 12
 ** CLK - pin 13, pin 14 on Teensy with audio board
 ** CS - pin 4, pin 10 on Teensy with audio board

created   Nov 2010
 by David A. Mellis
 modified 9 Apr 2012
 by Tom Igoe

This example code is in the public domain.

*/

#include <SD.h>
#include <SPI.h>

File myFile;

// change this to match your SD shield or module;
// Arduino Ethernet shield: pin 4
// Adafruit SD shields and modules: pin 10
// Sparkfun SD shield: pin 8
// Teensy audio board: pin 10
// Teensy 3.5 & 3.6 on-board: BUILTIN_SDCARD
// Wiz820+SD board: pin 4
// Teensy 2.0: pin 0
// Teensy++ 2.0: pin 20
const int chipSelect = BUILTIN_SDCARD;

void setup()
{
 //UNCOMMENT THESE TWO LINES FOR TEENSY AUDIO BOARD:
 //SPI.setMOSI(7);  // Audio shield has MOSI on pin 7
 //SPI.setSCK(14);  // Audio shield has SCK on pin 14

// Open serial communications and wait for port to open:
  Serial.begin(9600);
   while (!Serial) {
    ; // wait for serial port to connect. Needed for Leonardo only
  }

Serial.print("Initializing SD card...");

if (!SD.begin(chipSelect)) {
    Serial.println("initialization failed!");
    return;
  }
  Serial.println("initialization done.");

// open the file. note that only one file can be open at a time,
  // so you have to close this one before opening another.
  myFile = SD.open("test.txt", FILE_WRITE);

// if the file opened okay, write to it:
  if (myFile) {
    Serial.print("Writing to test.txt...");
    myFile.println("testing 1, 2, 3.");
	// close the file:
    myFile.close();
    Serial.println("done.");
  } else {
    // if the file didn't open, print an error:
    Serial.println("error opening test.txt");
  }

// re-open the file for reading:
  myFile = SD.open("test.txt");
  if (myFile) {
    Serial.println("test.txt:");

// read from the file until there's nothing else in it:
    while (myFile.available()) {
    	Serial.write(myFile.read());
    }
    // close the file:
    myFile.close();
  } else {
  	// if the file didn't open, print an error:
    Serial.println("error opening test.txt");
  }
}

void loop()
{
	// nothing happens after setup
}

Maybe Arduino is using the wrong SD library.

To check, click File > Preferences and turn on verbose output while compiling.

The click Verify again, and scroll up to look for messages about which SD library Arduino is actually using. If you highlight the text, you can use CTRL-C (or Command-C on a Mac) to copy that text to the clipboard. Then you can paste it here in your forum message. We're much better at helping with those messages when we can see the actual text which appeared on your screen.

Thank you for your replies
The problem was that the variable BUITLIN_SDCARD is not known ( not in blue as usual) i thought about working on an other pc and this time was something different,
it shows while compiling that there are more than one library called SD.h (well this is the meaning of the error message, cause it is not in English to copy it here)

Picking wrong library

I'm not the original poster, but am having the same problem with a fresh install of Arduino 1.8.10, Teensyduino 1.49 on MAC OS Catalina. Seems to be picking up the wrong library. Suggestions? Thanks!

CardInfo:36: error: 'BUILTIN_SDCARD' was not declared in this scope
const int chipSelect = BUILTIN_SDCARD;
^
Multiple libraries were found for "SD.h"
Used: /Users/sellensr/Documents/Arduino/libraries/SD
Not used: /private/var/folders/3w/fph9nxcx59bgndf_ydyvphlr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/8CC51EA0-F3D7-4247-9C0D-D4C1D1A31906/d/Teensyduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries/SD
Not used: /private/var/folders/3w/fph9nxcx59bgndf_ydyvphlr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/8CC51EA0-F3D7-4247-9C0D-D4C1D1A31906/d/Teensyduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SD
Multiple libraries were found for "SPI.h"
Used: /private/var/folders/3w/fph9nxcx59bgndf_ydyvphlr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/8CC51EA0-F3D7-4247-9C0D-D4C1D1A31906/d/Teensyduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SPI
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: /private/var/folders/3w/fph9nxcx59bgndf_ydyvphlr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/8CC51EA0-F3D7-4247-9C0D-D4C1D1A31906/d/Teensyduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SPI
Using library SD at version 1.2.4 in folder: /Users/sellensr/Documents/Arduino/libraries/SD
'BUILTIN_SDCARD' was not declared in this scope

Maybe Arduino is using the wrong SD library.

To check, click File > Preferences and turn on verbose output while compiling.

The click Verify again, and scroll up to look for messages about which SD library Arduino is actually using. If you highlight the text, you can use CTRL-C (or Command-C on a Mac) to copy that text to the clipboard. Then you can paste it here in your forum message. We're much better at helping with those messages when we can see the actual text which appeared on your screen.

You should remove this:
/Users/sellensr/Documents/Arduino/libraries/SD
It shouldnt be in your libraries folder unless you specifically put it there purposely for some testing or usage

The library folder takes priority over the core libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back