Multiple problems with Teensy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have multiple problems with my Teensy 4.0, which worked completely fine before. I don't know if they're connected with each other or not.

1. My Teensy 4.0 disconnects itself from my laptop's USB after 30 to 90 seconds of connection. It works fine, and executes everything I program it too (disclaimer: I only tested digital and analog writes and reads), but if ofc makes debugging hell, as I can't receive data to the serial monitor for longer than approx. 90s from boot-up.
  2. My other computer doesn't even register that I connect Teensy 4.0. I checked all the wires, they are good (everything works with other boards). I also reset Teensy 4.0 to it's original state by pressing Reset button for 15 seconds.
  3. Teensy's processor gets pretty warm (35°C) even while executing simple script (like blinking builtin LED or sending PWM signal in one of the pins).

The forum rules request that you post the complete source code that you are running on the T4 so others can reproduce the problem. What version of Arduino IDE and Teensyduino are you using? What OS/version are you using? "all the wires" ? -- maybe attach a photo of your T4. Does your T4 work ok with nothing attached to it except USB?

35C seems ok. try this sketch:
Code:
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  while (!Serial);
  Serial.print("ARDUINO "); Serial.print( ARDUINO);
  Serial.print("   TEENSYDUINO "); Serial.println(TEENSYDUINO);
}

void loop() {
  float tmpc = tempmonGetTemp();
  Serial.printf("%d ms  %.1f C\n", millis(), tmpc);
  delay(1000);
}

As @manitou mentioned, there is very little to go on here.

Like what type of computers are each of them? What OS? Example Windows? If so are you running Windows 10 or earlier version? If earlier does it have Teensyduino installed in order to have the appropriate Serial driver code installed?

What version of Arduino and Teensyduino?

What do you have hooked up to your Teensy?

> Teensy's processor gets pretty warm

In my opinion, the default CPU speed for the T4 should be lower. Rarely do people need 600 Mhz and saving even small amounts of energy is a good habit. A stick-on heat also makes a big difference.

As @manitou mentioned, there is very little to go on here.

Like what type of computers are each of them? What OS? Example Windows? If so are you running Windows 10 or earlier version? If earlier does it have Teensyduino installed in order to have the appropriate Serial driver code installed?

What version of Arduino and Teensyduino?

What do you have hooked up to your Teensy?

Windows 10
Arduino 1.8.9
Everything worked correctly before and iirc there was no Windows update, I purposefully haven't updated Arduino IDE to keep the testing conditions as close to the conditions when everything was working correctly

The forum rules request that you post the complete source code that you are running on the T4 so others can reproduce the problem. What version of Arduino IDE and Teensyduino are you using? What OS/version are you using? "all the wires" ? -- maybe attach a photo of your T4. Does your T4 work ok with nothing attached to it except USB?

35C seems ok. try this sketch:
Code:
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  while (!Serial);
  Serial.print("ARDUINO "); Serial.print( ARDUINO);
  Serial.print("   TEENSYDUINO "); Serial.println(TEENSYDUINO);
}

void loop() {
  float tmpc = tempmonGetTemp();
  Serial.printf("%d ms  %.1f C\n", millis(), tmpc);
  delay(1000);
}

Windows 10
Arduino 1.8.9
the exact same version when it was working 100% fine, both on laptop and PC.

ARDUINO 10809
TEENSYDUINO10809

As for temperature, it stabilized at around 54C while running your script... but my meter still says it 35, so I guess there is a big temperature difference between inside and outside.

Source code doesn't matter, I tried multiple of different source codes, some of them didn't even use serial monitor and it still looks the same - doesn't connect to my PC at all, connects to my laptop, but disconnects itself after short amount of time (and I don't just mean Arduino IDE doesn't see it, Windows doesn't see it).

By "all the wires" I mean USB wire (and USB extension cord that I use in my PC). Everything worked ok with my phone, Teensy 3.5 and ESP8266.

Except for one diode with a resistor that I used to check if pins are working correctly there was nothing connected to Teensy. When I runned your script there was nothing connected to Teensy.

maybe a cut-and-paste error, but this doesn't look right
Code:
ARDUINO 10809
TEENSYDUINO10809
???

TEENSYDUINO should be something like 148 or 149

and does little temperature sketch stop printing after "30 to 90 seconds" ?

maybe a cut-and-paste error, but this doesn't look right
Code:
ARDUINO 10809
TEENSYDUINO10809
???

TEENSYDUINO should be something like 148 or 149

and does little temperature sketch stop printing after "30 to 90 seconds" ?

TEENSYDUINO147, Sorry about that

And yes, it prints it out for some time, it even managed to reach 265s in one of the ten tests, but then it stops printing and serial monitor says it's offline.

I would recommend updating Teensyduino to 1.48 or 1.49-beta4

I updated everything on both laptop and PC and it still behaves exactly the same way - after connecting to laptop it disconnects itself after few minutes, after connecting to PC the PC doesn't even register it.

T4 internal temp report of 35-50°C is typical at 600 MHz - depending on sketch and ambient temp and what is soldered to T_4 for heat dissapation. Internal can report higher values - but 1062 chip exterior not that hot.

Not typical to have a Serial disconnect though. Running a proper sketch with good cable and computer connect without outside static or other electrical influence they have been running here for a year since first Beta units - certainly since T4 went into production.

Would need more info to understand if code or other external explanation could be found.

I updated everything on both laptop and PC and it still behaves exactly the same way - after connecting to laptop it disconnects itself after few minutes, after connecting to PC the PC doesn't even register it.

Has yourT4 had any electrical trauma? have you mistakenly connected 5v to any of the T4 digital/analog pins?? T4 is NOT 5v tolerant.

I'm running the program from msg #2. It's reached over 700000 ms and temperature is 58.8 C (this room is *really* warm right now).

Have you tried a different USB cable? In another recent thread we had someone who reports a Teensy 4.0 didn't work with a known good cable (works with regular Arduino). The red LED was turning on solid, meaning it did hear some USB messages before things stopped. But those other boards are 12 Mbit speed. Teensy 4.0 uses 480 Mbit USB. So if you have a dodgy USB cable, it's possible for slower boards to work flawlessly and the failure mode with Teensy 4.0 is very similar to what you've described... some USB communication works initially but ultimately Windows gives up after too many communication errors. But Windows doesn't show you any useful info about the problems. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back