Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: TriantaduoWS2811, a 32-channel WS* library for Teensy 4.0 using FlexIO and DMA

TriantaduoWS2811, a 32-channel WS* library for Teensy 4.0 using FlexIO and DMA

Here's a project I've been working on to generate 32 WS* channels of up to 1000 LEDs each, with zero processor overhead through the use of FlexIO and DMA and external shift registers. Some features:

1000 LEDs per channel at 30 FPS, though the number of LEDs and frame rate can be traded off. 10 LEDs at 3 kHz should be attainable.
    Consumes three Teensy pins and zero processor time
    Double-buffered to reduce tearing artifacts with video
    Each channel is configurable for RGB, GRB, or GRBW
    If you're really nuts, you could probably fit three of these on a Teensy, for 96 total output channels. Right now it's hard-coded to FlexIO 1

This would also be a good starting point for any project that needs a lot of outputs updated relatively (3.2 MHz) quickly, directly from RAM.

Code and lots more details here:
    https://github.com/wramsdell/TriantaduoWS2811

Ward awesome job! I commented on your facebook share as well.

Great stuff!

Thank you! In thinking about this some more, I'm tempted to do some more work with FlexIO and shift registers because it's just such a powerful combination. I *think* one could do 96 channels of PWM with 200ns resolution using 8 IOs: two clocks and 6 data lines. That would be an interesting feat.

Amazing, thank you!

This looks extremely interesting! Have you looked at extending it to a second flexIO for more outputs int the meantime? Also, is there an integration with FastLED already so I can save myself some work ?

Nope, I've never investigated FastLED. Is it a front-end/back-end sort of thing where I could easily swap in my drive code and leverage the existing value manipulation functions?

I think so! I haven't really modified the library myself either, but I'm following several contributors who have, for example Yves Bazin, who wrote a similar parallel output library for the ESP32: https://www.reddit.com/r/FastLED/com...ws2812b_strip/