Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [queued] TriantaduoWS2811, a 32-channel WS* library for Teensy 4.0 using FlexIO & DMA

Attachment 22704

A picture is more than a thousand words!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCB.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	22734

Name:	SCHEMA.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	22735

Made a new board, going to flexio2 those pins are closer. Going to test out if I get the software to work before ordering this PCB with assembly, because no way I can solder this by hand anymore....

Hopefully this board will work do the job....

Any comments on the design? I started 2 years ago with microcontrollers and electronics as a hobby and the first thing I did was explode my lights in the house, came a long way since then
    Last edited by MaltWhiskey; 12-04-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quick test program cycling a rainbow using FlexIO2 pin 8,9 and 10 and 1 or 2 DMA channels depending on the LED type (PL9823 or WS2811).
    I have not tested my new board design, but KiCad files are included.

https://github.com/MaltWhiskey/Mega-Cube

PCB board was delivered from China today. I can confirm it working without any glitches for PL9823 leds 128 leds/channel all 32 channels. Not tested anything else, life gets in the way....

Origional problem may have come from too long 100mhz trace, giving reflections?
    Using 2 boards with connection wire instead of single pcb -> grounding issues?
    74ahct959 datasheet states minimal 5.5ns for Pulse, so complete signal is minimal 11ns. Running at 102.4 MHz means 9.77ns so this is beyond datasheet, but pl9823 is slower. I noticed no problems with ws2812b, so there is some room in the 5.5ns....

I orders 5 assembled boards from jlcpcb for 17 euros (I had a discount coupon for 8$) all caps, resistors, ldo, frittered and ahct595 were included in assembly.

https://youtu.be/8qtkQFaaffg

Get the pcb if you want and the code from my github.

Can't believe there isn't any more interest in this, only 3 wires, cheap pcb with level shifter, ability to control thousands of leds..... at zero processor cycles. I think if you parallel the FlexIO to shift more than 1 bit, for example 4 bits, you can have 4x32 channels with no problem. I think 16x32 is the max for flexio2? So it's likely this can be scaled up beyond insane.... and there is also flexio1.. Flexio3 has no DMA so this is a bit useless...

Since not many responses/interest i'll leave it at this.

I registered just make this comment.

Just to let you know I am very interested! I think you have designed something very interesting. I've recently switched over to Teensy for some LED projects and this forum is absolutely one of the best I've encountered. I'm reading so much and trying to learn heaps at the moment and my list of bookmarks to return to and study in more detail grows by the day. This project is firmly on that list.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your work and it will I'm sure be useful to me in the future. 😁 Thank you.

Woody

https://youtu.be/mgr0I7CNi-A

Well running 4096 leds, with quick and dirty code, no double buffering. Sometimes there is a dataglitch indeed on last channel (31 counted from 0) But it seems a bit random. If i turn it off and on again, somethings the glitch is gone.

I think it’s fixable. Anyway, i have also other projects to do, so i’ll fix it when i fix it :P

Quote Originally Posted by MaltWhiskey View Post

Name:	PCB.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	22734

Name:	SCHEMA.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	22735

Made a new board, going to flexio2 those pins are closer. Going to test out if I get the software to work before ordering this PCB with assembly, because no way I can solder this by hand anymore....

Hopefully this board will work do the job....

Any comments on the design? I started 2 years ago with microcontrollers and electronics as a hobby and the first thing I did was explode my lights in the house, came a long way since then
    Great, I remembered how 20 years ago in technical school we were designing boards with p-cad.

After a bit of tinkering 16x16x16 Led cube begins to look respectable https://youtu.be/rLcbkJqM98Q
    Haven’t checked the framerate but should be well above 100Hz

Wow! That's quite the impressive build. Thanks for sharing!! I've been looking for examples of how much power the Teensy 4's have for WS2811s. I've been using a Teensy 3.2 to run ~2400 WS2811/2813s @ 58fps and this looks like a way to really push that up!

Well i checked with theory and with serial monitor.

I use 450ns per 1/4 bit so 1800 ns per bit and i use 50 bits for reset, 128 leds per channel and 24 bits per led
    that’s 1800*(24*128+50) => 0,0056196s so the display frame rate is 177,95hz :P
    The serial printed 0,01124 seconds because my animation routine took 2 display frames to complete the render,
    using sin math functions and floating points so even a teensy 4.0 uses some time for that :P
    If i skip rendering i get 0,00562 printed in the serial monitor, so the real display frame rate is 177,94 hz.....
    Thats kind of insane lol
    Last edited by MaltWhiskey; 04-29-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Ok crazy fast, running animations and display refresh at 178 fps

https://youtu.be/GKh33_mIz6Y

And data glitch fixed, no more disbehaving pixels.

I registered to this forum to thank Ward for his awesom library and and to thank MaltWhiskey for his efford in the timingchanges but currently I struggle to get this library to work with some WS2811 Leds.
    When I use the library as it is on github (https://github.com/wramsdell/TriantaduoWS2811) and measure the output timing on the shiftbuffer outputs I allways get a period time of 1250ns per bit, which is nice, but the high time of a logical one is 880ns and the high time of a logical zero is 440ns. According to the datasheet of the WS2811 chip the high time (in high speed mode) should be 600ns for a logical one and 250ns for a logical zero, +-75ns so the timing I get out of the shiftbuffers is quite out of spec for my WS2811 leds.

When I apply the pll5 changes MaltWhiskey mentioned on github (https://github.com/wramsdell/TriantaduoWS2811/issues/5) + I changed BF to FF in the TIMCMP[0] register. The high times on the shiftbuffer output are much better, I get 300ns for a logical 0 and 600ns for a logical 1 but now the period time changes with every bit. Logical ones have a period time of 1400ns and 5 latch clock cycles, and locical zeros have 1160ns and 4 latch clock cycles.

Channel one is the shiftbuffer output and channel two is the latchclock (sorry for the bad oscilloscope picture but I have nothing better at home right now)

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	24706

Im am not sure if the alternating period time is the culprit but still my leds are only glitching when the teensy resets but do nothing when they are updated by the library.

The code I used for testing does not change too much from the example from github
    Code:
    #include <Arduino.h>
    #include "TDWS2811.h"

TDWS2811 td;
    uint8_t channel = 0;

void setup() {
      Serial.begin(115200);
      pinMode(0, OUTPUT);
      pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
      Serial.println("Start Setup");
      td.setChannelType(channel,RGB);
      td.setChannelType(channel+1,RGB);
      Serial.printf("Setup complete!\n");
    }

void loop() {
      digitalWrite(13, !digitalRead(13));
      color_t col1 = {0,0,128};
      color_t col2 = {0,128,0};

for(uint8_t i=0; i<50; i++){
        td.setLed(channel,i,col1);
        td.setLed(channel+1,i,col1);
      }
      delay(1000);

for(uint8_t i=0; i<50; i++){
        td.setLed(channel,i,col2);
        td.setLed(channel+1,i,col2);
      }
      delay(1000);
    }
    Does anyone now what else could be wrong? or did I forgot to change something in the library?

I cant really help with the library since i made my own display class for flexio 2 on pins 8,9 and 10. I only use the dmachannel library. Everything i did was checked wirh the rt1060 manual you can download from nxp. I documented the source code with reference to the manual. And everything is explaned. So mabe this will help you?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Awesome! Thanks this library works perfect, and also I really like that you also implemented a framesync mechanism
    For the WS2811 leds I had to increase the dmaBufferLow array to a size of 220 because the datasheed I had seems to be quite outdatet. Newer version of the WS2811 chips need a 280s low period instead of 50s to latch the data into the leds.

Quote Originally Posted by Andi_k View Post
    Awesome! Thanks this library works perfect, and also I really like that you also implemented a framesync mechanism
    For the WS2811 leds I had to increase the dmaBufferLow array to a size of 220 because the datasheed I had seems to be quite outdatet. Newer version of the WS2811 chips need a 280s low period instead of 50s to latch the data into the leds.
    Good to hear it is working now! So you ended up using my Display class ? Or still on the original library?

Anyway took some time to make it all a bit nicer, nice fade in and out, sparkling fireworks etc. Starting to look like a real work of art.
    Everything non blocking, so hopefully I can work in that touchscreen and wifi at a later time. For now I'll call it done. My wife needs me to make a ceiling light :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidPiL3ZEh8