Teensy 4 Circuit Phython.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine you would need to build it from scratch since the memory layout of the Teensy is likely different from that board. I imagine you would also need to add a serial flash chip to hold the Circuit Python code.

Hi all, I'm glad you are excited for CircuitPython on the Teensy 4! I'm the project lead for CircuitPython and just started another thread with lots of info. I'll keep an eye out to answer questions in both places. Be sure to check it out for all of its info. Here are some answers to what you've wondered so far.

CircuitPython 5.0.0-beta.3 was released to Feather MIMXRT1062.

But the firmware is in .uf2 format. How to use an .uf2 firmware on Teensy 4.0 ?

AFAIK, Teensy Loader CLI needs .hex firmwares.

Our plan is to provide a hex you can use with Teensy loader. This is the only option now. However, we plan on providing a uf2 bootloader hex as well. It will run after the Teensy loader and enable you to drag and drop uf2s over. CircuitPython uf2s will be available too. This is a work in progress though, so use the .hex with TeensyLoader for now.

I imagine you would need to build it from scratch since the memory layout of the Teensy is likely different from that board. I imagine you would also need to add a serial flash chip to hold the Circuit Python code.

CircuitPython runs on a stock Teensy 4. We allocate the first 1 MB of the QSPI flash to CircuitPython's core code and the latter 1 MB to the filesystem. Other boards with more will have 1 MB for CP and the remainder for the file system.

We allocate the first 1 MB of the QSPI flash to CircuitPython's core code and the latter 1 MB to the filesystem.

Please keep in mind the last 4096 bytes of flash are reserved for Teensy 4.0's restore image. If you hold the pushbutton for 15 seconds, the bootloader does a complete wipe of flash memory and copies that restore data to the beginning of flash, so you can always reboot to a program with known-good USB communication.

Those 4096 bytes are permanently hardware locked. They can not be erased or written with different data. You probably should make sure Circuit Python doesn't assume that last 4K sector can be used for data storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back