Having problems getting started with Teensy 4.0 and Arduino IDE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarrocco

I have done a fresh install of the Arduino 1.8.10 IDE, followed by an install of the TeensyduinoInstall.exe 1.48.

I am using a basic sketch that compiles with no issues.
Arduino menu:
Board is set to 'Teensy 4.0'
USB Type is set to 'Serial' (There are no other options present)
Port is set to 'COM1' (There are no other options present)

After plugging in the Teensy4, I have a running Teensy with a Blinking Orange LED (the default application).

If I attempt to use the Arduino IDE to Compile/Upload the simple Sketch, the Teensy Loader opens as expected, the code compiles successfully, then I see in the IDE:

"No Teensy boards were found on any USB ports of your computer."
"Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch."

....at which point I press the Program Mode Button on the Teensy. The orange LED turns off, and the red program LED illuminates. Then then nothing happens. No more feedback from the IDE, no change in the LEDS.

I know that the USB cable is good because I have been using it to program other Arduino-type devices. I have tried several different USB 3 and 2 ports, with and without a USB Hub.

I have attempted going through the Troubleshooting section of the Teensy web pages but can't seem to get past this error.
I have also tried "holding the reset button down while plugging in the Teensy to the PC, then letting go of the reset button" all while the TeensyLoader is running. No change in behavior (RED Led stays lit).

I have checked through the Windows OS' Device Manager/Human Interface Devices list, and can find no indication of an HID-Compliant Device matching the Teensy/Halfkay identification information. Nor does an HID-Compliant Device entry appear/disappear when I connect/disconnect the Teensy4 USB connection.

Would someone provide a suggestion on how to proceed?

After you've pressed the button, does the red LED stay on solid, or blink slowly?

Either way, try another cable. Slow blinking means nothing working at all. On solid means it did hear some USB communication. Everything you've described sounds like a USB communication problem.

Teensy 4.0 uses 480 Mbit/sec USB. Most Arduino boards and all older Teensy boards are only 12 Mbit/sec speed, so it's possible they might be able to work over a dodgy cable that isn't reliable enough for 480 Mbit/sec.

After you've pressed the button, does the red LED stay on solid, or blink slowly?

The red LED stays on steady.

As you suggested, I tried another cable. That appears to have fixed the issue. Looks like I will have to play some "USB cable roulette" now to find cables that not only work, but are reliable.

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back