octoWS inside a class won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stav

Hey guys!
I'm trying to generalize an API for some led projects using octoWS2811 library and I'm having some problems.
I want to put the octoWS object inside a class so it will be easier to handle, but when I upload and run the code it does not seem to work.

the class definition (BasicLed.h) :

Code:
#include <Arduino.h>
#include "OctoWS2811.h"
#include "FastLED.h"
#include "Defines.h"

static DMAMEM int displayMemory[LEDSPERSTRIP*6];
static int drawingMemory[LEDSPERSTRIP*6];
static const int config = WS2811_GRB | WS2811_800kHz;

class BasicLed{
private:
CRGB fastled[NUMOFPIX];
// octo veriables
OctoWS2811 octo = OctoWS2811(LEDSPERSTRIP, displayMemory, drawingMemory, config);

public: 
BasicLed();
void set_color (u16 index ,u32 color);
void fast2octo();
void show();
static u32 rgb2word(u8 r, u8 g, u8 b);
void clear();

};

first of all for the display & drawing memory, if I dont define them as static I get a duplicate veriable error. I would really like to understand why, I dont declare them anywhere else in the code nor accept them as function inputs.
2nd when I use the BasicLed class and try to light some leds nothing seems to work.

Main.cpp code:

Code:
#include "BasicLed.h"

BasicLed led;

void setup() {
    led.set_color(0,RMASK);
    led.show();
}

void loop() {

}

ocotows.begin() is used in the constructor of the BasicLed class.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi Stav,
I think it would make sense if you added BasicLed.cpp as well.
Do you get a compiler issue that the object are not declared? Or are you just not getting any output on the leds?

I have BasicLed.cpp ,the header file is just for declarations and had no compiler error.
I just managed to solve the problem
I moved octo.begin() from the constructor to a function so i will call it inside setup{} instead of calling it when i create the global object.

Now I have a new problem with an inherited class of BasicLed that wont output anything on the leds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back